PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: New Guinea From Space

Fraser
2004-Oct-15, 06:20 PM
SUMMARY: This image of the western part of the island of New Guinea was taken by the European Space Agency's Envisat Earth observation satellite from an altitude of 800 km. The photograph was captured on March 20, using its Medium Resolution Imaging Spectrometer (MERIS). New Guinea is the second largest island in the world (after Greenland), and contains many unique species of animals. One fifth of the world's distinct languages - 1,100 different tongues - are spoken here by people in different tribes.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

maryd
2004-Oct-16, 12:45 AM
Greenland as the world's largest island? Nope, that would be Australia.

damienpaul
2004-Oct-16, 08:14 AM
i think Australia is classified as a continent...sort of like pluto being classed as a planet

AussieStarBloke
2004-Oct-17, 01:46 AM
I always thought that Australia was classified as an island but...

according to the Guiness World Records (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=47668) web site:

Largest Island
Discounting Australia, which has an area of 7,682,300 sq km. (2,966,200 sq miles) but is usually regarded as a continental landmass, the largest island in the world is Greenland, with an area of about 2,175,600 sq km (840,000 sq miles).

and according to the Collins English Dictionary:

"Island (n) - 1. a mass on land that is surrounded by water and is smaller than a continent."

so I am wrong.

It appears if you are a land mass and are lucky enough to be classified as a continent you are ineligible to run for the "largest island in the world" award :)

Regards,
Steve

Doug Doyle
2005-Jan-08, 12:30 PM
Australia would have to be the largest Island in the world - consider that a continent must have more than one country - that disqualifies Australia. Here is another interesting point - Americans will tell you that the USA is larger than Australia, but they count Alaska as part of that - What if Australia added it's Antarctic territory? That would make Australia 30% larger than the USA....