PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Spirit Steering Problem Returns

Fraser
2004-Oct-22, 04:09 PM
SUMMARY: NASA engineers thought that a steering problem on Spirit had cleared up, since they hadn't seen it in almost two weeks. Well, it's back. The glitch first appeared on Oct. 1, and forced the rover to stay put for 5 days while engineers searched for the cause. It went away after that, and returned again on Oct. 13. Engineers are now considering workarounds that would get the rover driving again, such as disabling the brakes on the steering actuator that keeps the misbehaving wheel pointed properly. This means the freely turning wheel might give the rover some difficulty as it negotiates rough terrain.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

StarLab
2004-Oct-22, 05:12 PM
Well, I'm happy as long as Spirit doesn't stop functioning...so it'll take a lot to get my hopes down...so there is a steering malfunction, so what? If it loses traction, that's not a total loss...it can still experiment, conclude a result and transmit the discovery/finding(s) to earth.

haute
2004-Oct-22, 07:27 PM
kinda sounds like a beat up old shopping cart :lol:

socratus
2004-Oct-23, 08:16 AM
At the end of 10-th, beginning of the 20-th years Sommerfeld
wrote to the Einstein :"I can help to development only
engineering of quanta.
You should construct their philosophy ".
However, the Einstein did not manage it to construct.
I have constructed philosophy of Quantum of light,
philosophy of Physics XXIc and on pages of my site I tell about it.

Many of physics consider, that: " the Physics is first of all Vacuum. "
P. Dirac wrote:
" Тhe problem of the exact description of vacuum, in my opinion,
is the basic problem worth now before physics.
Really, if you canít correctly describe vacuum,
how it is possible expect for the correct description something more complex? ".
It is completely correct.
Physics in Vacuum have groped true and condition
of infinite / eternal Vacuum characterized
with one simple physical parameter T=0K = -273,160C.
The philosophy of science begins from T=0K .
The physics begins from T=0K.
The religion begins from T=0K .
The origin of Existence begins from T=0K .

If you have time and desire, I ask you to visit my site
http/www.socratus.com
Thanks.
Good wishes.
Israel Sadovnik .

antoniseb
2004-Oct-23, 12:48 PM
Hi Socratus, welcome to the forum,

I had to either edit or delete your post, as one of our rules demands no discussion of religion. Another demands no promoting of websites, but I let you have this one shot at promotion.

I'd like to point out that your post had only the most tangential connection to the thread it was in about the balky wheels on the Mars Spirit Rover.

I hope that now and in the future, you will join in the discussions on this site with enthusiasm, but within the rules.