PDA

View Full Version : Good Astronomy on "Birds of Prey"

R.A.F.
2002-Nov-05, 12:00 PM
Did anyone see last weeks Birds of Prey? At one point, Helena, the Huntress, points to the sky and says "that is the constellation Orion" or something like that. Lo and behold, the very next shot is of the constellation Orion!

I know it is just a small piece of good astronomy but with so much bad out there it's nice to see Hollywood get it right once in a while.

The Shade
2002-Nov-05, 02:47 PM
Arrrgh! I missed that episode.

xriso
2002-Nov-05, 08:21 PM
Wow, if that little obvious bit of good astronomy is all it takes to get us excited, Hollywood isn't doing to great.

R.A.F.
2002-Nov-05, 08:48 PM
On 2002-11-05 15:21, xriso wrote:
Wow, if that little obvious bit of good astronomy is all it takes to get us excited, Hollywood isn't doing to great.

That was part of the reason why I posted it.

Colt
2002-Nov-06, 12:49 AM
What is "Birds Of Prey"? -Colt

g99
2002-Nov-06, 04:44 AM
A remake of Batman with no batman, huntress as a mutant instead of human, Oracle, and some phychic girl. Personally I feel it is very hoaky and drawn out. It is supposed to be in the future with all of this technology and harlequin is the bad guy(Bad girl?). The acting is over the top and the plots of the episodes are really starange and haokey. It is the whole last 5 min. of the show everything magically wraps up kind of thing and everyone goes home in each others arms smiling and laugthing.

It comes on the WB on wendesdays.

David Hall
2002-Nov-06, 12:23 PM
Orion is one of the very few constellations that even the Average Joe can pick out. I'd arguably call it the most popular and well-known constellation out there. Only the Big Dipper asterism can match it (at least for the northern hemisphere /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif). It's so well-known that I doubt even Hollywood producers would dare to get it wrong. It's almost as duh-inspiring as saying "That's the Moon".

Now, if they hd picked a lesser-known constellation, such as Leo or Saggitarius, and shown it correctly, then I would have been more impressed. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

David Hall
2002-Nov-06, 12:44 PM
Now that I think about it a little more, they may have gotten the shape of Orion right, but did they get everything right? Orion is a winter constellation, and only rises early enough to be seen in the evening in autumn and winter. In the summer it doesn't rise until just before dawn, if at all, and in the spring it will set very early. So there are only a few months of good viewing, and most of them are the cold winter months.

Do you know what time of day and/or year it was in the show when it was pointed out? I'll bet they showed it standing 'upright' in the sky, which would only happen if it's high in the sky. As I write this at about 10:00pm in early November, Orion has just risen in the east and is still lying on it's side. In another couple of hours it will be in good viewing position and will be up for pretty much the rest of the night.

2002-Nov-06, 04:20 PM
On 2002-11-05 23:44, g99 wrote:
A remake of Batman with no batman, huntress as a mutant instead of human, Oracle, and some phychic girl. Personally I feel it is very hoaky and drawn out. It is supposed to be in the future with all of this technology and harlequin is the bad guy(Bad girl?). The acting is over the top and the plots of the episodes are really starange and haokey. It is the whole last 5 min. of the show everything magically wraps up kind of thing and everyone goes home in each others arms smiling and laugthing.

It comes on the WB on wendesdays.

Oracle used to be Batgirl, but was shot in the spine and disabled by Joker. They are amazingly keeping close to the comic books in that regard.

g99
2002-Nov-06, 09:36 PM
On 2002-11-06 11:20, Cthulhu wrote:

Oracle used to be Batgirl, but was shot in the spine and disabled by Joker. They are amazingly keeping close to the comic books in that regard.

Yah it did on that. I will have to give them credit for that. I have to add that i am nowhere near a expert on Batman, I just like the comics and have red some of them and seen the shows. I have kept up on the latest oon most of the characters. But my biggest grip with the show is the bad acting and rediculous plots.

Smaug
2002-Nov-12, 12:46 AM
On 2002-11-06 07:23, David Hall wrote:
Orion is one of the very few constellations that even the Average Joe can pick out. I'd arguably call it the most popular and well-known constellation out there. Only the Big Dipper asterism can match it (at least for the northern hemisphere /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif). It's so well-known that I doubt even Hollywood producers would dare to get it wrong. It's almost as duh-inspiring as saying "That's the Moon".

Now, if they hd picked a lesser-known constellation, such as Leo or Saggitarius, and shown it correctly, then I would have been more impressed. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yeah, Orion was made popular by Men In Black with the whole Orion's belt thing.
(Good Movie /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif )