PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: NASA's New Supercomputer is ...

Fraser
2004-Oct-27, 03:38 PM
SUMMARY: NASA unveiled its new supercomputer on Tuesday, which took the lead as the fasted computer in the world. Named "Columbia", to commemorate the space shuttle, the supercomputer is built up from 10,240 Itanium 2 processors, and is capable of 42.7 teraflops (trillion calculations per second). Columbia is so powerful that scientists used it to accurately predict the path of hurricanes five days in advance. Complex aircraft analysis that used to take years can now be performed in a single day. Amazingly, the computer was built and installed in only 120 days at NASA's Ames Research Center.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Oct-27, 03:43 PM
47 Teraflops is pretty quick. What we don't really get from this story is how many floating point operations it takes to do specific types of calculations. It says that this computer is a ten times improvement over the entire collection of computers already at Ames [computers I had worked with a bit]. That's great!

But, when doing a simulation for the formation of a black hole, how many cells does this let you maintain during the simulation, and how long does each step simulate?

Likewise for simultating galaxy collisions with dark matter. How much can this improve the predictions?

It would be nice to get some concrete statements of the capabilities rather than just that it improves things.

2004-Oct-27, 08:02 PM
I wonder if this machine can be duplicated for another use in another place for another source? Should NASA really have the only one?

antoniseb
2004-Oct-27, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Oct 27 2004, 08:02 PM
I wonder if this machine can be duplicated for another use in another place for another source?
All it would take is money to buy the duplicate. Oh, also, you can't be in a country that is on the no-export list. It would also help to have some good sys-admin people, as this thing doesn't exactly maintain itself.

kashi
2004-Oct-28, 12:03 AM
I wonder how long it takes to install Windows XP...

johnny
2004-Oct-28, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by kashi@Oct 28 2004, 12:03 AM
I wonder how long it takes to install Windows XP...
Does this mean that it is faster than a G-5

computer expert
2004-Oct-28, 04:18 AM
remember there is more coach roaches than people
that doesn't mean there smarter or faster.

english teacher
2004-Oct-28, 04:20 AM
computer experts should take english lessons

2004-Oct-28, 10:24 AM
english teacher(s) should try to remember that there actually are other languages in the world..... (meaning that everybody does not have a "perfect" english)

Mild mannered
2004-Oct-28, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by fraser@Oct 27 2004, 03:38 PM
Columbia is so powerful that scientists used it to accurately predict the path of hurricanes five days in advance. Complex aircraft analysis that used to take years can now be performed in a single day
Columbia good - Hal baaaad

Please tell me it's not connected up to the nuclear weapons defence programs or I might just have to phone Arnie!