PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Cosmic Corkscrew

Fraser
2004-Oct-27, 04:12 PM
SUMMARY: Astrophysicists using the National Science Foundation's Very Large Array (VLA) radio observatory have revealed new details about a puzzling object called SS 433; a microquasar with bizarre corkscrew-shaped jets blasting out. SS 433 is probably a black hole or neutron star that's feeding on material from a normal companion star. Some of this material is consumed, but much of it is blasted back out at a quarter the speed of light. SS 433 wobbles like a child's top every 162 days, which causes the unusual corkscrew shape of the jets.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Oct-27, 04:23 PM
SS 433 is a very interesting object. It will be interesting to see what they can learn about it with the 2015 generation of instruments [30-meter optical telescopes, SKA, Space based giant infrared telescopes, etc].

VanderL
2004-Oct-27, 06:24 PM
SS 433 wobbles like a child's top every 162 days, which causes the unusual corkscrew shape of the jets.

Really? How do stars wobble like that, I think this is impossible. I'll try to read the complete story, but I can't see how this star can be wobbling like a child's toy.

Cheers.

The disk in SS 433 wobbles like a child's top, causing its jets to trace a corkscrew in the sky every 162 days.

I found this explanation in the article, giving the disk as the cause of the wobble, but I have serious doubts on how this can physically be true. What keeps the disk intact? Is there any way to ask the authors how they think this is possible?

Cheers again.

2004-Oct-27, 08:05 PM
From the main picture, it looked like an in-development spiral galaxy to me...