PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Lunar Eclipse Tonight!

Fraser
2004-Oct-27, 04:20 PM
SUMMARY: Okay, here's your last reminder. There's going to be a total lunar eclipse tonight, visible from the Americas, Europe and Africa. This is going to be the last eclipse visible until 2007, so I suggest that you set some time aside to enjoy this natural wonder. You don't need any special equipment, just head outside, and watch the Moon as it darkens and then turns a beautiful red colour. Here's an article about the eclipse that was posted a few weeks ago, and a full list of astrocameras that will be broadcasting the eclipse onto the Internet.

I hope you all get clear skies! Let me know how it goes for you.

Fraser Cain
Publisher
Universe Today

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Oct-27, 04:21 PM
Eclipse or Red Sox game, which do I observe? Perhaps I can see the moon between innings. Unfortunately for the mystical baseball enthusiasts, the moon will be behind clouds in St. Louis.

Fraser
2004-Oct-27, 05:27 PM
I can't believe it, we've got perfectly clear skies here in Southwest BC. That's very very unusual for this time of year. In fact, I've still got a bit of a lake in my back yard from the insane amounts of rain that just fell in the last few days. We're headed over to Katrina's cousin's place tonight for an eclipse get together. They've got a great view and super dark skies. Chloe's been telling everyone she can about the eclipse tonight; she's really excited.

2004-Oct-27, 07:53 PM
does anyone know what time it will be comming in halifax, nova scotia ? ( canada ) :blink:

smiley_gurl333
2004-Oct-27, 11:16 PM
hey, it's at 9:14 right?

Victoria
2004-Oct-28, 01:23 AM
20 minutes til countdown... 9:45 east coast(;

Bo
2004-Oct-28, 02:38 AM
fog )-:

Tinaa
2004-Oct-28, 03:05 AM
Ah it's beautiful here in balmy Texas.

Algenon the mouse
2004-Oct-28, 03:26 AM
Weather forcast for Seattle is (drum roll please....)

CLEAR! Miracles still do happen!
2:50- overheard staff members talking how "off" their classes were. I told them, sarcastically, it must be because of th lunar eclipse. half of the staff members took it seriously and said it must explain things and then listened to staff members discuss the full moon effect on childbirth and murders. the life on Mars topic looks pretty good at this point.
7:00- Pulled teens away from the idol know as "TV" and made them go outside with telescope.
(son impressed, daughter unimpressed, said she was cold. Have decided that daughter is not astronaunt material)It is not quite at totality.

7:10 -attempted to pull husband and sister outside to see it. Husband said he was too busy on the internet and would watch at totality, sister was on phone.

7:15-arrived at areobics class, disrupted class by anouncing "Anyone seen the Lunar eclipse?" Class runs over to the windows constantly during class.

8:00- Come home to discover that son and daughter are outside. Son is very excited, daughter trying to look cool and unimpressed but not suceeding.

8:28-sister joins us outside and asks why the moon is orange. I answer, because the sky is blue.

Looks pretty cool!

2004-Oct-28, 04:17 PM
Question... why is it that what appeared to be the leading edge in the moon's path across the sky was last part of the moon's disk to enter the shadow of the Earth during the eclipse last night? It doesn't make sense to me.

antoniseb
2004-Oct-28, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Oct 28 2004, 04:17 PM
why is it that what appeared to be the leading edge in the moon's path across the sky was last part of the moon's disk to enter the shadow of the Earth during the eclipse last night?
The moon's apparent motion to a ground based observer because of the Earth spinning is in a roughly opposite direction of the moon's actual movement around the Earth.

In the days of the Ancient Greeks, lunar eclipses were the surest way to plot the apparent motion of the sun and moon around the Earth against the background of 'fixed' stars.

Betelgeuse
2004-Oct-28, 06:03 PM
When will the eclipse be at its best tonight?

Rigel
:(

yashasvi
2004-Oct-28, 06:24 PM
I saw the Lunar eclipse.... I am in california... Orange county... it was beautiful, and my university provided us with a professional telescope for it! we saw it through various filters!!! It is the best thing we could see... Even though it was cloudy, but suddenly the clouds parted so that we could see the moon. but it again became cloudy! but we saw most of it!
It was magnificent