PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Detailed Image of Titan's Surface

Fraser
2004-Oct-29, 03:38 PM
SUMMARY: This image of Titan was taken when Cassini reached the closest point of its flyby on October 26. At this point, it was only 1,600 km (994 miles) above the surface of Titan. The brighter areas are thought to be rougher terrain on the surface, while the darker areas are probably smoother; the interconnected dark spots could be lakes.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Oct-29, 03:58 PM
Nice image, the first of many. Titan will be revealed slowly, but we can already see that it is different from just about any other surface in the solar system.

TuTone
2004-Oct-29, 08:21 PM
Interesting, this planet may actually have a moving lake. I wonder what lies beneath that lake? Probably nothing. <_<

antoniseb
2004-Oct-29, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by TuTone@Oct 29 2004, 08:21 PM
I wonder what lies beneath that lake? Probably nothing.
I&#39;m not sure what you mean by &#39;nothing&#39;. I think there&#39;s a good bet that under the lake is stuff kind of like what&#39;s on the shore around the lake. Some kind of solid material [rocks? ice? Oxides and Nitrates of Sulfur?]

If on the otherhand you were thinking that the unlikely something was a set of statues of the Sirens of Titan, or perhaps some cold calamari, I agree, they probably aren&#39;t there.

cherokee8@shaw. ca
2004-Oct-30, 02:33 PM
Cassini&#39;s flyby of Titan shows some amazing preliminary results .. High winds ,lakes of carbon based chemicals...Kiind of sounds like our place billions ofyears ago .Can&#39;t wait till the next flyby ,or landing..This is really exiting ...What do you guys think?

cherokee8@shaw.ca

2004-Oct-30, 04:02 PM
what a great picture :D

morddred
2004-Nov-01, 09:13 AM
Its like having a whole new world to explore.... wait IT IS. what gets better than this ??
The possibility of life is less than slim but a world with liquid on its surface is stunning.

Fergal

lswinford
2004-Nov-01, 02:09 PM
Considering the environmental temperatures, if we did find life, would we say "cool?"