PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Hibernate on a Trip to Mars

Fraser
2004-Oct-29, 04:09 PM
SUMMARY: Researchers from the European Space Agency are considering ways that astronauts could hibernate on the 6-9 month trip to Mars, consuming significantly less food, air and water. The researchers have been studying mammals which hibernate, and it turns out, they do their tricks in different ways. A dormouse goes into a deep sleep; its temperature drops nearly to zero, and its metabolism is dramatically suppressed. A brown bear hibernates at almost its regular temperature, and slows its heart rate slightly, but it still doesn't need to eat or drink for 3-7 months. A chemical called DADLE has been able to induce a hibernation-like slowdown in rats.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Oct-29, 04:21 PM
I wonder how grouchy someone would be when waking up after 270 days of sleep. Don't say another word till I've finished this gallon of coffee.

This could be a pretty cool technology.

2004-Oct-29, 06:08 PM
I think the bearlike method is the most useful.

Duane
2004-Oct-29, 07:40 PM
We're still along way from any significant attempts at hibernation. Having said that, it seems like they are making some progress. Wonder if there were any problems noted in the rats?

afterburn
2004-Oct-29, 07:56 PM
Can’t do it without artificial gravity. Without constant exercise there won‘t be anything left of them when they get there. They will be so weak when they get there in Mars 1/3 of earths gravity that they will need a week to get enough strength to go and explore. That’s if they exercise 6 hours a day.

TuTone
2004-Oct-29, 08:18 PM
NASA needs to build a space ship the houses like a condo or house so the astronauts could do something while they are away for a period of time. We need to take time off to build a &#39;mother ship&#39; for our space troops, but I guess that would cost a lot of money <_<

Matthew
2004-Oct-30, 06:33 AM
Can’t do it without artificial gravity. Without constant exercise there won‘t be anything left of them when they get there. They will be so weak when they get there in Mars 1/3 of earths gravity that they will need a week to get enough strength to go and explore. That’s if they exercise 6 hours a day.

Although the bears do not loose that much muscle mass, admitadly the bears are in 1g of gravity. How much muscle mass would the humans loose?

galaxygirl
2004-Oct-30, 03:49 PM
Would they plan on having the astronauts hibernate during the whole trip? I think it&#39;s an interesting idea, but there&#39;s so much you could get done going to and from Mars. If something were to go wrong with the ship, hibernating astronauts wouldn&#39;t be of much help.

2004-Oct-30, 04:03 PM
this sounds very good, i hope to hear more :D

Planetwatcher
2004-Oct-31, 09:15 AM
Seems to me like that was what happened in the origional movie The Planet of the Apes. ;)

yesha patel
2004-Nov-01, 04:31 PM
hey people check this out europeans r thinking to have people hibernated in the mars then what&#39;s the point of them going into the space? they can stay in here and get hibernated :unsure: and their families will also miss them

antoniseb
2004-Nov-01, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by yesha patel@Nov 1 2004, 04:31 PM
europeans r thinking to have people hibernated in the mars then what&#39;s the point of them going into the space?
You are making fun of the original writer. Certainly the idea is that they would be awakened when they get to Mars, and hibernate again for the trip back, but yes it could be read as though the astronauts would stay asleep for the Mars visit. Usually we include some indication that we are joking after such a post.

enediyne
2004-Dec-08, 08:31 PM
This science still has a very, very long way to go. People have been studying derivatives of the endogenous enkephalins for nearly 30 years. However, few biologically useful derivatives have been made in that time. It is all still pretty much trial and error. While it is not impossible that something will turn up from these studies that will really work, I would expect to wait at least another 20 years before human hibernation can even be conceived as feasible. :unsure: