PDA

View Full Version : Stargate

Matthew
2004-Oct-30, 06:43 AM
I love the show Stargate. Due to very unintelligent Australians who don't watch this great show we are very behind in the episodes (though its not a new proglem we've had to deal with down here). I was just wondering if anyone watches it in the US or UK (or anywhere else that is ahead of Australia), and if the episodes are still a good as they are in season 6?

galaxygirl
2004-Oct-30, 02:47 PM
Stargate is one of my favorite shows. What season are you on in Australia? The US is currently showing re-runs of season 8 episodes which started in July. I like them although a few episodes (not all) were a little boring, with one of those plots that keeps on repeating itself. Do you know when they're going to start showing Stargate Atlantis (another great show) in Australia?

Tinaa
2004-Oct-30, 03:29 PM
I don't mind the reruns so much because I can see what I missed. I think they screwed up with season eight. Some characters are gone and, like GG said, they have seemed to run out of new ideas.

Matthew
2004-Oct-31, 02:52 AM
Well in Australia we are on season 7. Just found out, we had a double episode on Thursday and one was season 6 while the other season 7. We are up to the second episode of season 7, down here in Australia it would seem.

I don't know if or when Atlantis is coming, because Stargate isn't, well the best rating show on tv.

StarLab
2004-Oct-31, 03:59 AM
That's cuz SG-1 and Atlantis are the best of the best, but only of the great American Pop-psyche guru culture mentality. We Americans, we lovin' it.

Matthew
2004-Oct-31, 04:07 AM
Does stargate have a large fanbase in america? is it a mainstream hit?

Planetwatcher
2004-Oct-31, 07:35 AM
Does stargate have a large fanbase in america? is it a mainstream hit?
Yes and growing to both. It grew very slowly at first. So slow in fact that it barely survived it's first two seasons.

The first turning point was meeting the Tocra, followed by the Azgard.

The early years of Stargate had very formidable competition from the Star Trek spinoffs, and Star Wars movies.
As the Star Trek spinoffs ended their series, Stargate started becoming more popular, and moreso as Americans have become more intrigued with reality TV or closer to reality. And Stargate is a lot closer to reality then Star Treks Next Generation series was.

But strangely enough, Stargate's bringing in space traveling ships seem to be fueling the flames as well. Meanwhile Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda is getting more weird and quickly losing popularity.
Enterprise has been yanked off the Warner Brothers and Fox networks. There is now no stations within a hundred miles of me which carries Enterprise.

But then I've not seen or heard anything of Atlantis in my area either.

Here is a decent link to a Stargate information page.
link (http://www.sg1archive.com/)

So what is popular on TV in Australia?

Matthew
2004-Nov-01, 12:17 AM
Popular shows? Well there's

Kath and Kim
CSI
Australian Idol
Dancing with the Stars
Who wants to be a millionare
Law and Order
Blue Heelers (Australian cop show)
Friends
The Simpsons

Planetwatcher
2004-Nov-01, 06:06 AM
Well 5 of those programs run in America as well, and 2 others are likely counterparts of popular American programs. Kath and Kim and Dancing with the Stars are the only totally unfamilar to me programs.

It appears that a lot of the same programs or at least types of programs are popular in both countries.

How big is your sci-fi market though?

We nearly always have some kind of Sci-fi program going on some channel.
Especially on weekend nights.

Matthew
2004-Nov-02, 12:22 AM
Sci-fi in Australia is pretty low. We had "The 4400" on, that we the most recent sci-fi to hit prime time. Stargate isn't doing too badly its on at 9:30 to 11:30, which is only an hour out of prime time. The rest of the sci-fi shows are usually on later than 11:30, if they get air time at all.

Planetwatcher
2004-Nov-02, 10:57 AM
It's sort of like that here too. Except there is something sci-fi every night during the overnight hours.
Now I'm talking about strictly brodcast channels. Cable has a dedicated Sci-fi channel, and at least two cable channels is playing some sci-fi movie at any given time. Satelite has more Sci-Fi then one can ever watch at any given time.

We have Stargate repeats on at least 3 nights per week, on at least two different stations. Andromeda is on 2 nights, The Outer Limits is back after several years of absence.
The WB station has the X-files every night, along with Sci-Fantisey programs like Smallville, Charmed, Angel, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. All that stuff is during Prime time.

Our PBS network has Sci-Fi late night each Saturday, mostly British vintage such as Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, Space Station One, the one with the stupid super hero from the planet Ultron who marries an Earth woman named Janet, and others I don't know the names of.
They also include a five minute spot with Jack Horkimer who explains what will be in the skies for the following week.

But currently Stargate leads the pack, except none of the local stations is showing Atlantis.

Spacemad
2004-Nov-02, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by matthew@Oct 30 2004, 06:43 AM
I love the show Stargate. Due to very unintelligent Australians who don't watch this great show we are very behind in the episodes (though its not a new problem we've had to deal with down here). I was just wondering if anyone watches it in the US or UK (or anywhere else that is ahead of Australia), and if the episodes are still a good as they are in season 6?
Hi, Matthew. I to love the series of Stargate & donīt miss a single episode, if I can help it! I did miss the first episode of season 7 which began here at the beginning of October :( I didnīt know it was on till a couple of days afterwards :angry: I hadnīt seen it announced in the previous weeks - days but since then Iīve made sure not to lose a single episode!

I first saw the series when I lived in Spain & Iīve missed several of the series in between then & now. In Spain I only saw the first series but since being back in the UK Iīve seen a couple of the series - we are currently seeing series 7 I think. I had no idea there was a new series called Atlantis! :o It will still be a year or two then before we see it here! :(

Matthew
2004-Nov-03, 06:30 AM
So many TV stations in America....

I'm used to 4 main stations, and 2 others that barely get watched. Cable here is only to about a million people I think, which is 1/20 of the population. I, if you haven't noticed, am not on cable. II'm not sure how much sci-fi is on australian cable.

lswinford
2004-Nov-05, 07:20 PM
All those channels on American TV and still I watch maybe six regular shows and wonder why nothing good is on the rest of the time! TV programming seems to put good stuff in opposition to other good stuff, then they scratch them as losers if they don't win top market share honors. Its like with baseball and the recent series. With a play-off series to pick the top teams between two leagues, then the two top winners play each other. The winner of that series becomes the best team of the season and the loser is suddenly the worst team in baseball. I used to enjoy Star Trek: Next Generation because sometimes the center of the story was classical interpersonal drama with a cool, futuristic setting. SG-1 was becoming more like the Zena or Hercules neo-fantasy farce for my tastes, but then I'm odd.

Tinaa
2004-Nov-06, 01:06 AM
I'll tell you what stinks about US TV. They idiot networks show Enterprise at the same time Stargate is on. You've got to wonder who they've got in charge.

damienpaul
2004-Nov-06, 03:06 AM
monkeys? pherengi?, the dominion perhaps?

kashi
2004-Nov-08, 12:38 PM
Do what normal people do Matthew, get your Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis episdoes off the net.

http://www.the-realworld.de is a good place to start.

I of course do not endorse this, as it is breaching copyright. It would be utterly terrible to watch these episodes 2 years ahead of Australia and without advertising.

I agree that season 8 has deteriorated somewhat. I am however looking forward to seeing part 2 of the Atlantis cliffhanger. I believe it airs on a Canadian HDTV satellite network tomorrow...I know what my bandwidth will be used for.

kashi
2004-Nov-09, 03:43 AM
Downloading stargate atlantis episode 11 - the eye thanks to some very friendly folk up in Canada.

Spacemad
2004-Nov-09, 09:24 AM
Do what normal people do Matthew, get your Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis episodes off the net.

Thanks for the tip, Kashi! :) I knew that people downloaded TV series from the Net but I didnīt know of any site till now.

Iīm now downloading a couple of episodes of Stargate Atlantis, as it will be years before we see it here in the UK!

Matthew
2004-Nov-09, 09:40 AM
First of all I only have dialup (which is a bugger) and would never download illegal video that breaches copyright.

kashi
2004-Nov-09, 09:49 AM
Oh my. The Stargate Atlantis conclusion (following on from 01x11 the storm) is brilliant. I'm a big fan.

Matthew
2004-Nov-10, 01:25 AM
How big are the files? Not that I'd ever download it....

kashi
2004-Nov-10, 03:26 AM
350-450 mb per episode depending on which format they're in. Who uses dialup in the 21st century?

Fraser
2004-Nov-10, 03:58 AM
It turns out my local high-def station is broadcasting the latest episodes of Atlantis. I've got it recorded on my DVR (sort of like a Tivo), so I'll watch it tonight. No spoiling it.

kashi
2004-Nov-10, 04:30 AM
It is brilliant!

Matthew
2004-Nov-10, 05:17 AM
Who has dialup.... those who don't have broadband. The costs, for I'd go through those $30 plans in a day and then be forced to pay for excess usage, so I'll stick with dialup, though it looks like I could get it early next year.

galaxygirl
2004-Nov-10, 07:10 AM
Don't you just pay a monthly fee and get to go on as much as you want? I pratically live on the internet so if the price for DSL increased depending on how much you used it I'd probably be on the streets by now.

Matthew
2004-Nov-10, 07:17 AM
That may be the American system but unfortunately here one company controls everything in telecommunications, Telstra. They essentially control the physical cables that go to our houses so the competition has to "buy" access off Telstra as such they can control the market.

We buy access to broadband at a certain speed (256/64 Kbits/s is average) then we have too watch downloads. Some plans give you unlimited download, but they're often over $100 per month. The cheapest and more common plans are the "dial-up priced" plans which give you 200 Mb to use per month. Which equates to be less than the size of an Atlantis episode....

If you go over the download limit you are charge 0.15c per megabyte (or you are dropped down to dialup speeds).

kashi
2004-Nov-10, 11:50 AM
With respect Matthew, that's just not true. I suggest visiting http://www.whirlpool.net.au. I pay $80/month for 1500 mbps with 24 gb cap (12 of it off peak only though) after which point it gets capped at 72k (still faster than dialup).

Don't touch telstra with a 10ft pole. They're tight arses. I recommend iinet.

damienpaul
2004-Nov-10, 12:49 PM
thank you kashi, I am in the process of 're-doing' my internet/server system, ready for my new positions next year. I am getting a laptop but do not wish to use telstra, I will follow your recommendation.

Fraser
2004-Nov-10, 05:35 PM
Okay, that was awesome. Great great episode. That show is really hitting its stride.

Spacemad
2004-Nov-10, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by galaxygirl@Nov 10 2004, 07:10 AM
Don't you just pay a monthly fee and get to go on as much as you want? I pratically live on the internet so if the price for DSL increased depending on how much you used it I'd probably be on the streets by now.
I'm with you there, GG! I spend most of my free time surfing the Net! :) I've signed up for many newsletters & spend a lot of time reading them - online! Plus downloading songs & now videos. I watched the first one yesterday - only I couldnīt see it on my DVD player so I had to settle for watching it on the computer. At least I was able to see my first episode of Stargate Atlantis - probably two years before it is shown on TV here! :)

We get 150k (some call it "semi-broadband,which is enough for our needs - at least for the present!) for 18 British pounds a month.

kashi
2004-Nov-11, 11:27 PM
I know I'm partly to blame, but let's stay on topic.

Spacemad
2004-Nov-12, 09:26 AM
I have seen my first episode of Stargate Atlantis called "The Storm" . :) Till it finished I didn't realise it was only the first part! Unfortunately I wasn't able to view it on my DVD player as it's a format it doesn't support so I ended up watching it on the computer. :( I now need to watch the 2nd half!

I realised during the episode that I need to watch the very first one so as to enter into the series feeling I know the characters, as well as the background to the series. It disconcerting when you don't know anything about the characters in a story nor the background.

It would appear that Atlantis is a city on another world! I thought it was here on Earth - very confusing at first. :rolleyes:

galaxygirl
2004-Nov-13, 12:57 AM
Actually, Atlantis is in another galaxy- Pegasus.

For some backround info check out this (http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/) site. Don't read the episode descriptions because they contain spoilers.

zephyr46
2004-Nov-13, 03:45 AM
Wow! great link Kashi Real world (http://www.the-realworld.de/modules.php?name=ed2k&op=release&rid=2277), a post Unicron Transformers series!

Where was this 15 years ago :(

I feel so Old :(

Stargate isn't so bad. I don't understand how you can watch it and not like Enterprise or Babylon 5!

antoniseb
2004-Nov-13, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by galaxygirl@Nov 13 2004, 12:57 AM
Actually, Atlantis is in another galaxy- Pegasus.
Funny thing about the name of the galaxy. There is only one galaxy that is simply named after the constellation it is in, and it is in a constellation that boarders the constellation Pegasus. Unfortunately, there is a SciFi series that already uses that name.
Hint, the other series stars Kevin Sorbo.

zephyr46
2004-Nov-13, 04:19 AM
Sagittarius Dwarf? Canis Minor Dwarf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canis_Minor_Dwarf_Galaxy)
Ursa Minor Dwarf, Scuptor dwarf, Draco Dwarf,

There seems to be at least one Dwarf (http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/sattelit.html)for every constellation! :lol:

But seriously :angry:

That is really the best thing going for star gate, it gets us out into the wider Universe, and the Captin is funny!

Spacemad
2004-Nov-15, 12:13 AM
Thanks, Galaxy Girl. By the time I read your post I had already seen one of the videos of Atlantis, so I knew where it was situated!

I have spent the last 4 or 5 days trying to download more - today 3 finally finished downloading :) :) :) but , lo & behold I canīt SEE them!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: I can hear 2 of the 3 (the 3rd canīt even be played on my computer!) but I canīt SEE them!

The first one I downloaded a few days back I was able to watch on the computer but not on my DVD player! I have since noticed that the one I was able to see on the computer had an extension .wmv so I have checked for more videos of Atlantis & have found several more extensions, amongst them .wmv so I had thought of downloading several of them only to change my mind & chose 2 of the same title but with different extensions (as well as a tremendous difference in Mb!!!) to see which I can see better.

I would like to see them on my DVD player but I donīt know what extension to choose - I can rule out extension .wmv! - but what about .avi or .mpg? :unsure: I will download one of each format & let you know later how I get on!! (maybe a few days or more though!!!)

BTW, Do you know if the episode "The Storm" part 2 is available? Iīve seen part one but I canīt find part 2! :angry:

Matthew
2004-Nov-15, 06:59 AM
You will need to check what your burning software can do. If it can burn .avi then download avi, if not get one that can. It really depends on the software, the info should be in the help file.

Memphis
2004-Nov-16, 01:31 PM
I have spent the last 4 or 5 days trying to download more

hey chap

any idea where I can download some stargate episodes, its a good show, havent really kept up with it though

kashi
2004-Dec-01, 01:59 AM
The emule or bit torrent networks are a good place to start. Note that the forum doesn't condone this sort of illegal activity.

Man...these Atlantis episodes airing in Canada are REALLY good!

galaxygirl
2004-Dec-01, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by kashi@Nov 30 2004, 08:59 PM
Man...these Atlantis episodes airing in Canada are REALLY good!
Just rub it in Kashi... <_<