PDA

View Full Version : Morphological Evolution of Sunspots

siva_senthil_159_85
2004-Oct-31, 04:04 PM
Hello every body

can some one suggest me on how carry out the short time study of morphology of sunspots

antoniseb
2004-Oct-31, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by senthil_159_85@Oct 31 2004, 04:04 PM
can some one suggest me on how carry out the short time study of morphology of sunspots
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about seeing a time-lapse image of a sunspot's shape changing as seen in optical light? Are the images from SOHO good enough?

K. Siva Senthil
2004-Nov-20, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by antoniseb+Oct 31 2004, 08:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (antoniseb @ Oct 31 2004, 08:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-senthil_159_85@Oct 31 2004, 04:04 PM
I&#39;m not sure what you mean. Are you talking about seeing a time-lapse image of a sunspot&#39;s shape changing as seen in optical light? Are the images from SOHO good enough? [/b][/quote]
Yes i think that sunspots do change their shape in terms of area over a short period of time. I am not sure about the magnitude of the short term. This is what I want to know and if there is any change like that then how does it effect the lifetime evolution of the sunspot and other physical phenomenons related to sunspots.

antoniseb
2004-Nov-20, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by K. Siva Senthil@Nov 20 2004, 10:53 AM
I am not sure about the magnitude of the short term. This is what I want to know and if there is any change like that then how does it effect the lifetime evolution of the sunspot and other physical phenomenons related to sunspots.
Where have you looked so far? There&#39;s a lot of resources on the web. I&#39;d start with a Google search on "solar astronomy". If you&#39;re serious about this research, you probably know that there are several efforts that have gotten very high resolution images of sunspots. You could try contacting them.

If you are a teenager doing work on a project for school, perhaps looking at successive SOHO images will be good enough.

I&#39;m still not sure what you think you&#39;ll observe, or what exactly your goal is here.

siva_senthil_159_85
2004-Dec-26, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by antoniseb+Nov 20 2004, 02:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (antoniseb @ Nov 20 2004, 02:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-K. Siva Senthil@Nov 20 2004, 10:53 AM
I am not sure about the magnitude of the short term. This is what I want to know and if there is any change like that then how does it effect the lifetime evolution of the sunspot and other physical phenomenons related to sunspots.
Where have you looked so far? There&#39;s a lot of resources on the web. I&#39;d start with a Google search on "solar astronomy". If you&#39;re serious about this research, you probably know that there are several efforts that have gotten very high resolution images of sunspots. You could try contacting them.

If you are a teenager doing work on a project for school, perhaps looking at successive SOHO images will be good enough.

I&#39;m still not sure what you think you&#39;ll observe, or what exactly your goal is here. [/b][/quote]
Let me clarify my ideas in steps
1) Observe the sun or get images from www.
2) Identify a sunspot and track that sunspot in the image with time
3) Calculate the area of the sunspot using computer programs which iam currently developing.
4) Plot the change in area with time.
5) Repeating the steps from 1 to 4 for different sunspots.

Problem that iam currently facing is iam not able to get images of sun on my own as weather is bad for solar observations in India and dont have my own scope.

I searched www for such resources where sun&#39;s white light images are stored with at succesive images are seperated at least a day.