PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: NASA Announces May 2005 For ...

Fraser
2004-Nov-01, 05:42 PM
SUMMARY: Grounded since the Columbia disaster, the space shuttles are tentatively expected to return to flight as early as May 2005, according to NASA officials. The agency updated their launch schedule on Friday, targeted Discovery's launch window to be open from May 12 to June 3, 2005. The shuttles have a lot of work to do; current plans are calling for 28 more flights until 2010 to complete the construction of the International Space Station, after which the shuttles will be retired.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2004-Nov-01, 05:51 PM
There is a load of work to do, a drop in prouction in the US is bad, the cost of rebuilding Iraq and the job loss in the economy are not good for the overall sector. We have seen that NASA can still do good stuff, the Rovers and the Cassini-Huygens mission are great. However the Genesis crash shows there still is much reform needed in management, and we need new types of craft. Using designs for older rockets and not improving sfatey will cost NASA, Space shuttle Colombia went into service in 1981 and was said to be the NASA's oldest shuttle. Sadly all seven astronauts were killed in the loss of the space shuttle Columbia and there still remain some questions to be answered. I hope we've learned the lessons from these accidents and disasters, like that of the 1986 Challenger Shuttle loss and Colombia. I think the media reaction was also bad, the sensationalist attitude of the press (broadcasting the taped 'last words' within 48 hours of the incident) was insensitive to the families of the astronauts - in general, little respect was given to the quick and untimely deaths of the astronauts in favor of intense informational probes for the disaster and high ratings.

2004-Nov-01, 07:46 PM
current plans are calling for 28 more flights until 2010 to complete the construction of the International Space Station, after which the shuttles will be retired. Hmm, yeah...now, let's talk about that...

As you all know, there's been a lot of controversy about the ISS...is it really worth the effort to waste our money on this, as well as twenty-eight flights over six years, to complete a simple space station? It's already been this long so far and we haven't finished it. Should we really continue, at this rate?

Duane
2004-Nov-01, 07:52 PM
If this is a vote, then put me down for yes, we should. I have a few reasons, but the biggest is that the parts needed to complete the station are almost all finished & ready to be shipped out. The only spacecraft capable of doing the job is the shuttle.

The station will be a great boon for humankind for the next 20 or more years, and has the ability to be upgraded and enlarged. It would be stupid in the extreme to let it go at this stage of the game.