PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Triple Eclipse on Jupiter

Fraser
2004-Nov-04, 06:35 PM
SUMMARY: The Hubble Space Telescope took this rare picture of a triple eclipse on Jupiter, an event that only happens once or twice a decade. Io is near the middle, Ganymede on the planet's left edge, and Callisto is near the right edge. Astronomers tested a new technique with Hubble when taking this picture. They sped up Hubble's tracking system so that Jupiter passed through its field of view more quickly than normal. This allowed them to take rapid-fire snapshots of the planet and its moons to build into a single image that shows more detail than one single image.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Betelgeuse
2004-Nov-04, 07:57 PM
How extrodinary!

I've checked out the hubble site and the image in great detail. The image was taken with Hubble's Near Infrared Camera (i.e the pastel colours) and Multi-Object Spectometer.

The real extraordinary thing about this is the fact that two of the moon's (Io and Ganymede) were crossing the face of Jupiter the same time as the three shadows.

It'd definately worth having a closer look at the image.

Regards
Rigel

TuTone
2004-Nov-04, 09:04 PM
What is the Hubble site address?

Tiny
2004-Nov-04, 09:47 PM
Do they have webcams on the Hubble telescope which to provide the "transit" for us to see? By any chance, can we find "black drop effect" on the transit of Jupiter's moon as well?

Victoria
2004-Nov-05, 02:02 AM
Ah, well...thank goodness for my own personal sake...these shots are availabe. Love the images, well worth the time to research. :) Absolutely lovely. Again, I have to say U.T. has it all!!! :P B)

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Nov-05, 11:25 AM
Last winter I could see Venus Saturn and Jupiter and the moons easily with my little etx 70, here in the sodium light drenched suburbs of London England.
They disappeared during summer !!! (i'm new to this telescope world). Will they appear again soon for winter, and will they still be in the same orienation?

Betelgeuse
2004-Nov-05, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by TuTone@Nov 4 2004, 09:04 PM
What is the Hubble site address?
Hubble News centre (http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2004/30/)

Hope that helps you.

Tiny, I'd advise you to check out the hubble site (the above link) as they have a video of the eclipse there. Again, hope that helps!

Regards
Rigel

Brittany
2004-Nov-29, 09:54 PM
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]All these subjects in this artical are nice, but what would you see if you went to jupiter? I know for a fact you'd see other planets but what else?

From a very curious student at a Middle school :huh: :unsure: ^_^ :mellow: :o
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'D SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John L
2004-Nov-29, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Brittany@Nov 29 2004, 04:54 PM
All these subjects in this artical are nice, but what would you see if you went to jupiter? I know for a fact you'd see other planets but what else?

From a very curious student at a Middle school :huh: :unsure: ^_^ :mellow: :o
I DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'D SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At sunset and dawn, depending on their positions, you would be able to see Venus (bright yellowish), Earth (bright blue), and Mars (bright orange/red) near the horizon only, as these planets are all closer to the sun. You would also be able to get good contrast on Jupiter's rings at these times of day, too. I wonder if you could make out the larger asteroids. Can anyone speculate on that? I'd think that just after sunset or just after sunrise, if they were between 60 and 90 degrees off of Jupiter's position, that the bigger ones should be visible.

During day or night you could see the many moons of Juipter, but you could only really appreciate the eclipses of Juputer by these moons from one of the moons. Jupiter is pretty big, and has no solid surface, so you couldn't really watch from Jupiter anyway. I think watching Jupiter eclipse the sun from one of the moons would be a nice show, too. The rings would be fully contrasted, but with Jupiter's size I wonder what levels of coverage of the sun you would get???

The outer planets would be visible at any point in the night sky based on their own orbits. Of course, when they are on the same side as the sun, relative to Jupiter, then you wouldn't see them, but at night they would be large and bright. Saturn would certainly be visible as a bright yellow point. I'm not sure whether you could make out the rings of Saturn with the naked eye from this range or not. Being half a billion miles closer, you may be able to see Uranus with the naked eye. I'm not sure about Neptune, though. It's pretty far out there.

I hope that answers your question. If you're talking astrology, I don't know what it means when the Earth is rising in Capricorn...

2004-Nov-30, 10:40 AM
From the irregular shaped moon Amalthea, Jupiter would look like this;

http://www.orionsarm.com/worlds/amalthea.jpg

and yes, you would see Uranus when it was on the same side of the Sun as Jupiter; but not when it was on the other side of the solar system. Saturn's rings would unfortunately not be visible; and the asteroids would be difficult to see agaonst the Sun's glare. With binoculars you could make out the Earth's Moon.

Duane
2004-Nov-30, 02:11 PM
Ok, I am probably going to regret this, but, how do you figure that Saturn's rings wouldn't be visible?