PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Rover Toolkits are Still Full

Fraser
2004-Nov-05, 05:20 PM
SUMMARY: It's been 10 months since the Mars Exploration Rovers arrived at the Red Planet, and their full suite of scientific tools are still working perfectly. Spirit is now discovering further evidence of past water on a slope of layered bedrock, which was once layers of volcanic ash altered by water over a long period. Opportunity is heading towards the base of "Burns Cliff", a tall exposure of layered rock in wall of Endurance Crater. The rover is taking advantage of a mysterious power boost that happened about a month ago to get more scientific work done.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Duane
2004-Nov-05, 06:13 PM
I hope that the success of these two rovers will at least somewhat mute the Nasa naysayers. Not everything they do is wrong! :)

Guest_Space
2004-Nov-05, 07:16 PM
Hello :wacko:

TuTone
2004-Nov-05, 08:06 PM
They should send a couple rovers over on titan & other planets. They seem somewhat durable.

Al Pickrel
2004-Nov-05, 09:35 PM
"The rover is taking advantage of a mysterious power boost that happened about a month ago to get more scientific work done."

First those little green men destroyed anything we sent there and now they are recharging the batteries on the sly. What that about?

zephyr46
2004-Nov-06, 03:33 AM
Just a little bit of neighbourly assitance I guess :)

damienpaul
2004-Nov-06, 12:41 PM
maybe it was a rogue lightning bolt from the Electric Universe website...:blink: :P (i could not resist)

Matthew
2004-Nov-07, 01:35 AM
If we can still use the rovers, why not use them to their fullest? NASA only spent a billion on them.

It does show what good ol' NASA can do with a few billion.

dave_f
2004-Nov-07, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by matthew@Nov 6 2004, 08:35 PM
If we can still use the rovers, why not use them to their fullest? NASA only spent a billion on them.

It does show what good ol' NASA can do with a few billion.

The total figure for both rovers and the cost of transporting them was a little less than 800 million. That includes the extra money for the mission extensions, which amounted to chump change by NASA standards (5 million for the first extension, 2 million-ish for the second extension).

The Cassini mission cost over 3 billion dollars, and that's with no rovers (just a orbitting satellite and a one-time-use-only atmospheric probe)!

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Nov-09, 04:09 PM
Mysterious power boosts, landing on asteroids, buildings on the moon....I don't want to sound like a jerk....and won't say anything too jerky... But.....shouldn't we start looking for more answers?
From Balsa and canvas aeroplanes to space travel in...phew...in less than 100 years......! ! Makes ME wonder !