PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Soyuz 2 Test Successful

Fraser
2004-Nov-09, 06:05 PM
SUMMARY: A Soyuz 2-1a rocket lifted off from the Plesetsk Cosmodrome in Russia yesterday, completing a test of this modernized version of the launcher. It was carrying a mock-up of an unspecified satellite called Oblik. The Soyuz 2 is more powerful that the earlier model, and equipped with a digital control system, requiring less people to oversee its launch and monitor its flight.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Nov-09, 06:25 PM
About twenty years ago, I wouldn't have thought that this story would matter much, but the Russian rockets are an important part of the Earth's launch capabilities. It's great that they are working to improve these things and make them cheaper to operate. They will probably also be more reliable, at least I hope so.

2004-Nov-11, 11:55 PM
For a long while Russia was very closed, but now it is more open and there seems to be a strong international effort in space. I wonder if Europe or NASA will ever buy some of these rockets for cheaper launches

Guest_space-race
2004-Nov-27, 05:02 PM
what is the difference between the rockets used in the Soyuz spacecraft and those used in the Shuttles?the Soyuz rockets seem to burn "cleaner",with a cone-shaped flame,burning blue,whereas the Shuttles have these huge yellow flames with a lot of smoke.have read on one of the other posts about birth defects suspected to have been caused by the fuel used by the Soyuz rockets.

antoniseb
2004-Nov-27, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Guest_space-race@Nov 27 2004, 05:02 PM
the Shuttles have these huge yellow flames with a lot of smoke.
The huge Yellow flames come from the two Solid rocket boosters strapped to the side. The main shuttle engine has a clean blue liquid fuel flame. The Soyuz rocket is all liquid fuel also.