PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion please ...

Chook
2004-Nov-13, 07:25 PM
Why do you like or dislike UT?

Ola D.
2004-Nov-13, 07:44 PM
Thanx Chook for starting this topic..
Adding to what you said, I honestly dislike LONG posts, (ok i admit it I do post some :D ) but it's so exhausting sometimes.

What i mostly like is that everybody here is willing to listen and share what he/she has with everyone :) Great discussions, Great forum!

kashi
2004-Nov-14, 12:17 AM
You can attach pictures to topics, just not in every forum category. If you click Add Reply (not fast reply), there will be an "attach file" option in some forum sections. Totally off topic is not included, as that would result in every man and his dog posting tonnes of happy snaps. I'm sure you can understand why Fraser has done this. :P

damienpaul
2004-Nov-14, 12:27 AM
great topic Chook, lets see

* The work that Fraser and most of the mods do.
* The sheer amount and calibre of friends i have made from here
* The sheer amount I have learnt from here
* The opportunity to have my say in a levelled playing field
* the option of blocking undesirables (which i have done)

Dislikes:

* when topics get 'buried' by one or more people
* when questions go unanswered, when they could be answered, as opposed to those that are too difficult
* the odd case of double standards (thankfully very rare)

bossman20081
2004-Nov-14, 05:10 PM
What I like:
-debating and getting answers for my questions and other peoples questions
-having people who know what theyre talking about to correct me
-getting information about space
-having friendly, cooperative members (mainly)
(theres more, I just cant think of it)

What I dont like:
-people who post once then leave
-people who act like they know what theyre talking, but dont
-one, maybe two people who write rude posts

Fraser
2004-Nov-14, 07:16 PM
Oh, we ban 'em. It happens quietly, and generally without fuss, so you probably don't realize when it happens.

kashi
2004-Nov-14, 11:53 PM
The thing that scares me the most about this forum is the picture of Damien's beard. That would be more than enough to "bury a topic" (to quote the man himself).

wstevenbrown
2004-Nov-15, 12:18 AM
Floccinaucinihilipilification: The act of rating something as worthless or beneath notice.
Likes: we all know-- we all could be so many places, but we are all here by choice. I choose you ... all of you.
Dislikes: only one-- the ad hominem argument in whatever form. The basis for any friendly forum is violated whenever this comes up. One's arguments and data are subject to attack, presumably by better arguments and data; however, one's person is sacred.
Whether we agree or not, I emanate good feelings in your general direction. Regards, Steve

jimmy
2004-Nov-15, 03:05 AM
The best thing is sharing with, (in my case learning from) others, information pertinent(sp?) to one's questioning mind without having to muddle through stuff that you either don't give a ---- about, or have the necessary academic background to study.
Yes, the people are a very diverse lot, but the common thread of wanting to know more about this Universe we inhabit brings us here at various intervals.
Of course, I have to check in once a day when I can, to at least see what my friends have posted.
As many of you have said, I really don't like it when people are rude or insulting.
P.S. The Rogues Gallery was brilliant Chook!

damienpaul
2004-Nov-15, 04:10 AM
my beard is hiding atlantis

zephyr46
2004-Nov-15, 04:22 AM
I love, talking and reading about current Space news

I like learning, being corrected when I am wrong and sharing the knowlege I have.

I love the people here, they are all so colourfull

I like being able to ask questions (even if no one replies)

I don't like that there isn't a political thread, some things just need to be said, and it would keep the rubbish out of the other threads, I don't think it has to be no holds barred. But that might be a spectical, watching a good argument, if it happens, there should be a cover charge.

I too

am afraid

of Damos Beard !

Even if it is covering Atlantis. But I have seen scaryer things from the Red Center.

TheThorn
2004-Nov-15, 04:26 AM
I like the lively discussions, but like everyone else emmes to say, I like them lively, not mean.

And I think Damos beard is really hiding his supper.
:lol:

Agro
2004-Nov-17, 12:56 AM
Quote wstevenbrown:

".......however, one's person is sacred."

Therefore even DamienPaul's beard is sacred, and we may never know what it really hides!

:D

bossman20081
2004-Nov-17, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by damienpaul@Nov 14 2004, 11:10 PM
my beard is hiding atlantis
I knew it all along!!!! :D

Well, heres another like, every since I joined, my I.Q. has gone up like 5 points; thats definantly a like! B)

damienpaul
2004-Nov-17, 07:23 AM
my beard is also generating a magnetic field

wstevenbrown
2004-Nov-17, 08:05 PM
Hmm... Adam Qadmon, I presume?

damienpaul
2004-Nov-19, 04:20 AM
nah, a refuge for all endangered species

suntrack2
2004-Nov-19, 11:56 AM
i look always god in you while you interact in any topic, that's why i don't dislike you, but i like it very much that what positive you are doing here, that's very important, as you know for every aspect there are two sides like a coin, our understanding is a main content in looking the materials positively, because in today's world this is most essential to give encouragement to other, give pleasure to others, praise to others, boost to others, no personal coments, not to hurt, let others grow, let others prosper, let others enjoy, this kind of our mentality is essential so that in living with the nature will defenitly suit our real posture.
Hence where is "DISLIKE".
dislike will ruin when we start to like.
sunil

Planetwatcher
2004-Nov-19, 06:49 PM
What is ad hominem?
Perhaps it was covered earlier, but my attention is divided today.
My wife is one of her moods of `talk to me no matter what and demanding part of my attention`. But if I stop what I'm doing to give her full attention she gets angry about that too, because it then takes me longer to get done what I want to get done, but it does anyway with dividing my attention. Maybe I'll go to work early today.

wstevenbrown
2004-Nov-19, 07:25 PM
From the Latin--literally, "toward the man." Descriptive of arguments that aren't really about the topic under discussion, but attack the ancestry, personal habits, and/or moral character of one's opponent. Generally not considered cricket, not good form at all. Steve

VanderL
2004-Nov-19, 09:06 PM
I think all the likes and dislikes have been named already, and mine aren't any different; respect and sharing knowledge, and it should be fun to participate (and it is). Let's keep it that way,

Cheers.

bossman20081
2004-Nov-19, 11:45 PM
What VanderL said <_<

Moseley
2004-Nov-20, 12:17 AM
I love the content, and the intent. This is what the net is about.
Would like a chat forum - if only for occasional query, or maybe just a chat as everyone seems v.friendly (and knowledgable).
Looking forward to Huygens&#39; brief time in the spotlight.

StarLab
2004-Dec-05, 06:19 PM
Give us some examples - that&#39;s a good point/complaint, but what strings did you have in mind?

(Shouldn&#39;t we PM the topic starter if that person has not yet responded in his own string for a long while :unsure: ?)

ChromeStar
2004-Dec-11, 11:59 AM
:D Pretty much What chook said and that there is always current news (intresting to)

suntrack2
2004-Dec-21, 11:00 AM
Chook, my vote in favour of LIKE, in another terminology i can say much in short words here: A pretty cool discussion salad in a decent boul.

sunil

josie_1
2004-Dec-30, 06:16 PM
hello chook. it&#39;s josie, your friend. i like this website and i think that the moderators are very interesting and look after the site very well. my favourite moderator is antoniseb because he answers in very good ways and i like reading his interesting replies. i also like a member of this forum, but i&#39;ll keep that secret. :wub: they know who they are. i like fraser as well. he is a kind man.

antoniseb
2004-Dec-30, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by josie_1@Dec 30 2004, 06:16 PM
my favourite moderator is antoniseb because he answers in very good ways and i like reading his interesting replies.
Thanks for the kind words, I&#39;ll try to live up to them in the days and years ahead.

damienpaul
2004-Dec-31, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the kind words, I&#39;ll try to live up to them in the days and years ahead.

you already live up to them anton, and more.

Planetwatcher
2004-Dec-31, 09:48 AM
Can&#39;t think of anything I don&#39;t like. As for what I do like,

EVERYTHING&#33;&#33; :) :)

imported_Astrono
2005-Jan-10, 05:53 PM
Its a nice place to be in 2005&#33;[SIZjavascript:emoticon(&#39;:D&#39;)E=14]

piersdad
2005-Feb-10, 07:11 AM
i learn as i post.
at last ive found a forum where i can throw ideas around and get good replies.
a little out of my time zone but ill get used to that.
have not had time to really get to know all the tricks but that will eventuate.

so i look forward to having a good discussion with all you fine folks.
btw im from New Zealand

kashi
2005-Feb-10, 08:17 AM
Welcome piersdad. I am from Australia...not too far from your timezone.

Fush &#39;n&#39; Chups... (sorry I couldn&#39;t resist).