PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: A Brief Interview With Sir ...

Fraser
2004-Nov-15, 07:36 PM
SUMMARY: TV host Sir Patrick Moore has popularized astronomy for almost half a decade in the United Kingdom and around the world by presenting his monthly Sky at Night program without a break - a slight episode of food-poisoning earlier this year that meant Patrick missed a program, but he made a full recovery. Patrick has also written over a hundred books and thousands of papers on the subject, and was working on a new project when Richard Pearson caught up with him at his East Grinstead home.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Fraser
2004-Nov-15, 09:33 PM
Oops, that should be a half-century.

2004-Nov-15, 09:39 PM
And he is fantastic - a true eccentric English genius! :)

Tiny
2004-Nov-16, 12:46 AM
Patrick Moore ;) why is this name so familiar... I think I have read his books before, oh yeah, that one, the Black Hole in space.

MrGuest
2004-Nov-16, 05:27 AM
yeah he's got loads of book with his name on them,
nice interview :)

JohnC
2004-Nov-16, 08:17 AM
Fraser

Patrick Moore lives in Selsey, West Sussex not East Grinstead :lol:

Selsey is on the south coast of the England, East Grinstead is near London

Richard0802
2004-Nov-17, 02:44 AM
oOP's my slight error, he does live at Selsey. West Sussex!

However, Sir Patrick was born in East Grinstead, grew up their, bought his first telescope, a 3 inch refractor, and took over the running of the local observatory owned by a Mr. Hambury and run by W.S.Frank's. He used all of the telescopes their, and it was here Patrick Moore gained the knowledge to become a young astronomer, and his passion for the subject developed from there. To quote our guest, “He is fantastic – a true eccentric English genius.”

May I just add that space artist David A. Hardy, who lives in Birmingham (UK), has been a good and close friend of Sir Patrick Moore over the last half decade, and they are inseparable as true space companions --- both have asteroids named in their honor. Their latest book, Futures 50 Years In Space, is truly excellent, not only does Patrick Moore clearly inform the reader about the cosmic places in our solar system, and beyond, David A. Hardy's colorful paintings takes the reader right THEIR in the 'minds-eye.' An amazing book ... Two amazing people. ;)

It was a great plesure for me to interview them both. :D

PS: Thank you for the e-mail comments following the story's publication, some very kind words.

maah
2004-Nov-17, 07:41 PM
Great to read about that Grand Ol`Man. In my childhood he was an idol of mine (beside The Beatles!). In the mid -60 a read his book "the Planets", Swedish transaltion, which started my interesst in Astronomy in general and Amateuar Astronomy in particular. I have watched a few of the "Sky at Night" programs when I`ve visited England. I`ve never heard an Englishman speak so fast and enthusiastic on a subject!!
Regards,
Magnus

Spacemad
2004-Nov-17, 11:24 PM
Great to read about that Grand Ol`Man. In my childhood he was an idol of mine (beside The Beatles!).

As he was of mine as well! I used to love seeing his programme - when my dad let me stay up long enough to see it!

While I lived in Spain we saw an occasional programme of his translated into Spanish.

Unfortunately my work hours don´t let me see them any more but I sometimes record them on my video to see when I have time.

I like his style & presentation very much. I was a little alarmed when they said on the news that he was ill with food poisoning. I was so glad to see he had made a full recovery! :)