PDA

View Full Version : Supernova

StarLab
2004-Nov-16, 05:34 PM
Does this (http://cnn.aimtoday.cnn.com/news/package.jsp?name=fte/stardust/stardust) make any sense?

It talks about the notion that a supernova could have jump-started human evolution and domination about three million years ago.

antoniseb
2004-Nov-16, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by StarLab@Nov 16 2004, 05:34 PM
Does this make any sense?
Well, the evidence that there was a nearby Supernova three million years ago makes sense. I don't think the case that this event caused humans to leave the trees and walk upright is ready to send to the jury just yet. I don't think we can say yes or no either way till we know more.

GOURDHEAD
2004-Nov-16, 07:30 PM
It was the change in the shape and dexterity of our feet. Competition in the trees had to be left to others. After moseying around under the trees for a while, we set out for the savannahs. Early hominids would have been too simian-like to have felt comfortable very far away from trees until they learned how to use the physiology and mental capacity that nature dealt them. The less erudite among them would have perished at a much more rapid rate than for other primates because they would have been unusually easy prey. This condition lead to a more rapid rate of learning by the remnants and the development of technology.

antoniseb
2004-Nov-16, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by GOURDHEAD@Nov 16 2004, 07:30 PM
It was the change in the shape and dexterity of our feet.
I can't dispute that, but I think part of the question is whether the increased radioactive dust on the ground helped speed helpful mutations to support the new pediatral needs.