PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Life's There, You Just Need to Dig

Fraser
2004-Nov-18, 07:19 PM
SUMMARY: Scientists believed they'd finally reached the limits of microbial life with the heart of the Atacama desert in Chile. This desert is so dry, parts of it only receive one rainfall every decade or so, and NASA uses it as a model for the search for life on Mars. But researchers from the University of Arizona have discovered that life's here too. They dug up soil samples from 20 to 30 cm (8 to 12 inches) below ground, and then added completely sterile water and let the samples sit for 10 days. They were then able to grow unusual bacteria from the samples and analyze their DNA.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2004-Nov-18, 09:14 PM
Now how is this different from the Martian climate and chemical soil composition?

SupaGlu
2004-Nov-19, 07:25 AM
I agree that it is critical to be 100% sure that we have exhausted every possibility of discovering life on Mars before any manned or biological missions are sent there as once the planet is contaminated there will be no way of undoing it. In fact even at this stage I don't believe that the missions hitherto have been sufficiently "sterile". But as long as experiments such as these are conducted here on earth we are a lot less likely to miss the signs of life (if they exist) elsewhere in the solar system.

hubble
2004-Nov-19, 07:47 AM
i am with you
fraser and supa glue read the topic DON'T TERRAFORM MARS and my own topic of ALIENS read on as they both ave gotten heavily emphasised effort into negative and positive sides of this issuse

2004-Nov-19, 01:00 PM
I read as short note in a book that the the search for life was moving towards looking for bio chemical which do not occure naturally such as cytochromes, porphyrins and metal containing organics. Does anyone know where I can find more informatiomn on this?

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Nov-19, 01:43 PM
Mars is wet in places !! Even one of the rovers was squishing around on an algae mat of some extraction. What are those big 'plants' imaged by Malin/NASA....surely educated scientists can't just ignore pictures like this.

http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/m07_m12/im...8/M0804688.html (http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/m07_m12/images/M08/M0804688.html)

Are MSSS are making this up or are scientists ...what.....!!