PDA

View Full Version : Nasa's World Wind

Matthew
2004-Nov-21, 12:48 AM
I recently got a hold of Nasa's World Wind software and was amazed! Check out Nasa's World Wind v 1.2! (http://learn.arc.nasa.gov/worldwind/) Its essentially one massive global map which allows you to zoom into the earth, you are originally given a basic earth model, but if you arr connected to the internet (broadband is best), you can zoom in to extrememly close resolutions. Or you can have a look animated features, look at different layers or for real fun find your house! For in the cities various suburbs/localities are named so you can zoom right down to where your house should be!

Betelgeuse
2004-Nov-21, 09:40 AM
Extraordinary idea! I'll consider downloding a copy soon!

Spacemad
2004-Nov-21, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the link, Matthew. I went along to have a look & as I liked what I saw Im downloading a copy right now! :) Ill keep you posted on what I discover from time! :)

Matthew
2004-Nov-23, 03:22 AM
At closest you can get to 15 m per pixel (with Landsat), which is extremely close when you think about it. I also had a look at other pages in the "nasa eductation" section, and there are some very ingenious softwares!

antoniseb
2004-Nov-23, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by matthew@Nov 21 2004, 12:48 AM
I recently got a hold of Nasa's World Wind software and was amazed!
I was using Keyhole, from the Google site. It's pretty similar. There are some places in keyhole with one meter resulotion. I could tell the shape [minivan vs. sedan] and color of the cars in my driveway on the day the photo was taken. On the other hand I tried to look at Mountains in Turkey [looking for the Ark:)] and the resolution was about a mile.

I'm downloading worldwind now.

antoniseb
2004-Nov-23, 03:50 AM
I downloaded Worldwind and installed it. I'm running it now, and it's great. It's doing just about everything that Keyhole was doing, but won't cost $24.95. Thanks Matthew!

Side note, a huge number of people seem to have just started using it. The server is having trouble.

Matthew
2004-Nov-25, 02:57 AM
Hopefully they will overcome this problem, as the add-on packs can be annoying large for me (as I'm on dial-up).

antoniseb
2004-Nov-25, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by matthew@Nov 25 2004, 02:57 AM
I'm on dial-up
Ouch!, that first download must have taken over-night.
I'm currently downloading detailed images from the turf under my usual air travel.
[Boston to Austin].

I noticed with Keyhole [the Google product] that there is a lot of variation on the image detail available. Keyhole has Cambridge Mass down to a resolution of three to six inches. I used it to look at the various large sculptures on the MIT & Harvard campuses.

That makes for quite a roll-out as you go from seeing people walking around a sculpture to seeing the entire planet. On the down-side, Keyhole has limited coverage of the rest of the world, showing something like 100 meter resolution for most of it.

bossman20081
2004-Nov-25, 03:10 PM
I cant connect to the server... It appears you were right Anton, there must be a lot of people downloading it to get backed up like that.

Matthew
2004-Nov-27, 03:33 AM
Well I never downloaded World Wind initailly, I got it on a cover CD from a computer magazine. I'm getting a friend to download some of the add-ons then burning them so I don't have to download. :P