PDA

View Full Version : Tom Potter

StarLab
2004-Nov-30, 05:36 AM
Hi, I think we should discuss the antics of a particular Tom Potter, whose website can be found here (http://home.earthlink.net/~tdp/).

This guy says a lot. I think his entire worldview is deserving of a string. I know most of you have in some way or another come by his website. Intriguing, isn't it?! :P Well, that's what we're here to discuss on this string...

So, check out the site, and report back. It's a fun site. Here (http://home.earthlink.net/~tdp/misc.html), there's more than meets the eye.

(Even his non-scientific articles are interesting and worth a read ;) .)

astromark
2004-Nov-30, 12:03 PM
Where do people find the time to do this stuff?... I have looked everywhere in the supermarket, and still cant find it... He's an interesting fellow a...

Betelgeuse
2004-Nov-30, 06:02 PM
Astromark, I agree! I've never come across Tom Potter's website before! Although, I've had a quick brows and it's very interesting, what he has to say!

Sphinx
2004-Dec-01, 09:48 PM
His music is annoying. Anyone know how to turn it off?

astromark
2004-Dec-05, 06:28 AM
reach for the knob.... lol
turn it to the left...

Betelgeuse
2004-Dec-05, 08:47 AM
It stops on it's own for me after a while!

Sphinx
2004-Dec-05, 10:53 PM
lol, i guess I was being a grump that day. :rolleyes: So what's so special about Tom Potter?

antoniseb
2004-Dec-05, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Sphinx@Dec 5 2004, 10:53 PM
what's so special about Tom Potter?
Nothing really. Starlab likes to find people with seemingly crackpot explanations for the universe, and hopes that we'll rip into the theory to debunk it. I didn't find his writing very compelling, and I really don't see it out in the public media much. If Potter himself, or someone who actually is a proponent of his theories posts here, I might take the time to look through it.

Sphinx
2004-Dec-06, 05:16 AM
ah, thanks for the clarity antoni...this is becoming a habit for you. You've done this for me on a number of occasions in just the last few days alone. Thanks

Betelgeuse
2004-Dec-06, 04:08 PM
Anton, I must admit that I do agree when you say his approach to theroy's behind the universe are somewhat crackpot, or, in a nice way, original! However, I find his views highly amusing and entertaining. He certainly has a unique way of thinking!

ChromeStar
2004-Dec-18, 11:40 AM
Jazzy ;)

Nereid
2004-Dec-28, 10:57 PM
If I've read one of these crackpot ('pottery magician') websites, I've read a dozen!

While I may sympathise with these guys' (and they're all guys, never gals, right?) desires to be accepted, it's so sad that not one of them seems to have clicked to the simple fact that a concrete, specific, testable prediction would do what 10,000 webpages of excrutiating explication of the obscure can't - potentially generate instant credibility!

Where is the prediction of the mass of the neutrino flavours? the Higgs? the LSSP? the 'true' nature of dark matter? dark energy?? an explanation of GRBs? the depth and solute concentrations of the Europan ocean? the Ganymede one? the nature of the surface of Titan? what results GPB will produce? the half-life of all the isotopes in the island of stability? semi-major axis-mass distributions for planetary systems, by spectral class of 'sun'? .......