PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter Effect and revisionism

anu
2002-Nov-08, 08:25 PM
I note that John Gribbin is now a prolific author of 'serious' space books. I distinctly remember him writing a 'doomsday'-style tome along with Steven Plagemann (I think) about how tectonic cataclysms would hit California in 1982. How did he retain any semblance of professional credulity in the wake of that non-event (his bio extols his credentials as a 'former professional astronomer') or does he profess to amnesia about his sordid past?

Silas
2002-Nov-08, 08:35 PM
On 2002-11-08 15:25, anu wrote:
I note that John Gribbin is now a prolific author of 'serious' space books. I distinctly remember him writing a 'doomsday'-style tome along with Steven Plagemann (I think) about how tectonic cataclysms would hit California in 1982. How did he retain any semblance of professional credulity in the wake of that non-event (his bio extols his credentials as a 'former professional astronomer') or does he profess to amnesia about his sordid past?

It wasn't actually his fault. He made some idle remarks, his publisher demanded a book, and, when he wouldn't write what the publisher wanted, the publisher assigned a co-writer to "spice it up." Gribbin has long since disclaimed responsibility for that book.

(I don't know Gribbin, but I do know his literary agent.)

Silas

Zathras
2002-Nov-08, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure. He's been writing so-called "serious" books on science for over 10 years now, but from the ones I've read (a couple of his books on QM) they were not impressive at all. Very much sensationalizing (e.g. QM shows that there is no objective reality, etc.) and other similar drivel.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Nov-09, 01:02 AM
I think Gribbins has been writing serious stuff for a lot longer than ten years, hasn't he?

Here's a previous thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=2397&forum=9) where we discussed it some.

2002-Nov-09, 05:04 PM
I do not READ verey much Black ink on White page
material.. 1 it makes me sleepy 2 its depressing 4me
HOWEVER I think I did read Jupiter effect?
and was of the opinion long B4 that YES
Earh Quakes are not only predictable
but they can be predicted YEARs in advance
So depending upon who does the MATH
its very precise { yeah its just me }
theres something else i'd like to say
to the Logical PositivEFisted's {4now it escapes me} So i?U