PDA

View Full Version : I need help with research on a book

aranonddi
2004-Dec-16, 03:41 PM
My name is Edward Armstrong and I am doing research for a book. I would like some information about what would happen if a comet impacted with our moon. What would happen to our weather ? etc. Thx

The idea I had was that a comet would impact in such a way that it would sort of land like a plane on the moons surface. The comet is a deception, it contains a transportation device that would give a alien race the means to access our planet by transporting fighters, troops and supplies billions of miles in minutes.

Thanks for your help

Duane
2004-Dec-16, 05:33 PM
This storey might help: Explosion on the Moon (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast30nov_1.htm)

antoniseb
2004-Dec-16, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by aranonddi@Dec 16 2004, 03:41 PM
what would happen if a comet impacted with our moon. What would happen to our weather ?
Some debris from the collision would hit us, but the total impact it would have would depend greatly on several factors:
- how big was the comet? they range from 500 m up to perhaps 50 km in diameter. This range of 100 in diameter reflects a range of a million in mass and impact.
- how fast is going relative to the moon? If the comet is orbiting in the same direction as Earth with a relatively elliptical orbit, the impact will have less power than if it is going the opposite direction with a Hyperbolic orbit. This could plausible have a factor of 100 variation in speed [factor of ten covers most cases], but energy is proportional to v-squared, so that amplifies it a bit too.
- Where does it hit the moon? Did it slam into the Sea of Moscow? That might reduce the impact to Earth a bit.

So the answer is, "it depends". Could be nothing detectable, could be a meteor shower and a decade of cool cloudy weather. Could be a calamity.

Pokendeye
2004-Dec-17, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by antoniseb+Dec 16 2004, 06:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (antoniseb @ Dec 16 2004, 06:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-aranonddi@Dec 16 2004, 03:41 PM
what would happen if a comet impacted with our moon. What would happen to our weather ?
Some debris from the collision would hit us, but the total impact it would have would depend greatly on several factors:
- how big was the comet? they range from 500 m up to perhaps 50 km in diameter. This range of 100 in diameter reflects a range of a million in mass and impact.
- how fast is going relative to the moon? If the comet is orbiting in the same direction as Earth with a relatively elliptical orbit, the impact will have less power than if it is going the opposite direction with a Hyperbolic orbit. This could plausible have a factor of 100 variation in speed [factor of ten covers most cases], but energy is proportional to v-squared, so that amplifies it a bit too.
- Where does it hit the moon? Did it slam into the Sea of Moscow? That might reduce the impact to Earth a bit.

So the answer is, "it depends". Could be nothing detectable, could be a meteor shower and a decade of cool cloudy weather. Could be a calamity. [/b][/quote]
I think it would all matter on weather the comet was more like a meteorite, or a asteroid. Also the weather conditions, on the moon&#33; could dramaticaly change the trajectory.