PDA

View Full Version : Titan's Lone Continent?

imported_Ziggy
2004-Dec-19, 08:04 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Saturn's moon, Titan, has a large continent/landmass surrounded by a planet-wide ocean of liquid methane? Did you here about this? Can anyone give me more info?

antoniseb
2004-Dec-19, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy@Dec 19 2004, 08:04 PM
I remember reading somewhere that Saturn's moon, Titan, has a large continent/landmass surrounded by a planet-wide ocean of liquid methane? Did you here about this? Can anyone give me more info?
That's kind of an old vision of Titan. right now, we are collecting more specific, detailed, and less speculative data about the place. With luck in a few weeks, we'll have close up images from the lander. The Methane ocean idea seems to have gone by the wayside.

Does anyone recall Vonnegut's description of the place in "Sirens of Titan"?

astromark
2004-Dec-19, 11:41 PM
This is indeed the very best way to find out what Titan is like, Just wait a few more days and Casinie will drop its pasanger and it will with a bit of luck desend down to the serface of Titan and send us all the answers you are looking for. Please cross your fingers for its been a while and its complicated and we have very little idea how or what it will do and or find. Just a few more days....

Matthew
2004-Dec-20, 05:53 AM
Yeah pity its going to be on Christmas day when the lander actually lands. I'm then going on holiday for a week so I won't find out what happened until New Year!

Hopefully we get some good data. And maybe a happy snap or two!

Duane
2004-Dec-22, 09:52 PM
Actually, the lander only separates on Christmas Eve. It does not actually land until Jan 14, so you have plenty of time to get ready Matthew.

Guest_Xtro
2004-Dec-23, 07:29 PM
You mean, NASA haven't mapped out already where the lander is, erm, "landing"?

Don't we already know about the surface of Titan?

Or DO we????

<_<

Matthew
2004-Dec-24, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Duane@Dec 23 2004, 08:52 AM
Actually, the lander only separates on Christmas Eve. It does not actually land until Jan 14, so you have plenty of time to get ready Matthew.
Thanks Duane, I just assumed that it would be going on a direct route to the surface after seperation.

alainprice
2004-Dec-24, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Guest_Xtro@Dec 23 2004, 02:29 PM
You mean, NASA haven&#39;t mapped out already where the lander is, erm, "landing"?

Don&#39;t we already know about the surface of Titan?

Or DO we????

<_<
Titan&#39;s atmosphere is too thick to see the surface.

Recent radar data(was it radar?) has helped.