PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Radio Telescopes Will Contribute ...

Fraser
2004-Dec-23, 05:59 PM
SUMMARY: When Huygens makes its plunge into Titan's thick atmosphere on January 14, 2005, it'll be watched by a host of instruments, including the radio telescopes from the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO). By measuring the frequency of Huygens' radio signals, scientists will be able to calculate the east-west wind speeds, and build a better model of Titan's weather systems. Another team will track the probe's trajectory to within 1 km (3,300 feet).

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/radio_telescopes_huygens.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

James Friesen
2004-Dec-24, 01:23 AM
I saw the scope in the picture, the 100M Green Bank Telescope, under construction while on a Ski trip to West Virginia. It was great. I walked around the whole site one afternoon, on a cold, windy day, wearing a ski jacket, shorts pants, and a bandage on my leg, which explains why I wasn't skiing at the tme. The dozen stitches in my knee were a nusaince, but the scope was an awesome sight to see. It was mostly finished, with just the receiver arm and the panels left to install. The other scopes spread throughout the sprawling GB Observatory property were fascinating as well.

I think the GBT is the largest steerable radio telescope in the world (Arecibo doesn't count, since only the receiver is steerable.)