PDA

View Full Version : Solar Flare Cycle

Fossa_Riot
2004-Dec-29, 03:46 AM
I've seen some vague information on an alleged 27-day solar flare/geomagnetic storm cycle. Does anyone have any information on this cycle, why it occurs(I know the sun has a 27 day rotation cycle thats surely related) and when the current cycle began and ends. Also, any links to monthly solar flare/goemagnetic storm/Aurora graphs would help.

antoniseb
2004-Dec-30, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Fossa_Riot@Dec 29 2004, 03:46 AM
any links to monthly solar flare/goemagnetic storm/Aurora graphs would help.
I've never heard of this cycle. You could probably graph out data about this by looking through the SOHO data over the laast few years. I'm betting that there is no such cycle. If there was one, it would be an indication that a particular spot on the sun flares whenever it lines up with Jupiter, or some spot relative to the Milky Way, or something like that. This seems like an unlikely physical situation, as normally we don't think of the sun as having an asymmetry like that.

Good luck graphing it out.

SOHO (http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/)

astromark
2004-Dec-30, 03:21 AM
Sol does have cycles, but not at that rate.I beleave the cyclic activaty can and has been well documented by those ppl whom have made a study of aroaral activity. Dont quote me but I think its eight years. The number and intencaty of sun spot activaty does have a cycle. I beleave it can be detected in some rock structures by archieoligests. The SOHO site will inform you beter than I.

antoniseb
2004-Dec-30, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by astromark@Dec 30 2004, 03:21 AM
I think its eight years
It's normally described as eleven years, but technically it's twenty-two years. This is the magnetic / sunspot cycle. Flares have some connection to this cycle as well.

astromark
2004-Dec-30, 07:02 AM
Oops... from now on it shall be as stated, eleven years. Thankyou.