PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Robotic Hubble Servicing Contract ...

Fraser
2005-Jan-06, 06:26 PM
SUMMARY: NASA has given a Canadian firm the green light to begin developing a robotic salvage mission that could repair and upgrade the aging Hubble Space Telescope. The agency awarded a $154 million contract to Canada-based MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates. This is the same firm that developed the Canadarm, and contributed to the Mobile Servicing System on the International Space Station. MDA's solution is called Dextre: a two-armed robot that could perform all of the same maintenance tasks that had originally been designed for human astronauts. The move towards a robotic solution is still controversial, and NASA hasn't made the final decision on what to do with Hubble yet.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/mda_hubble_contract.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

StarLab
2005-Jan-06, 06:40 PM
Well, I'm glad somebody cares about the Hubble...

Duane
2005-Jan-06, 08:20 PM
If nothing else, MD&A should be able to provide a very concise understanding of where the technical challenges lie, along with a reasonable approximation of the final cost.

Greg
2005-Jan-07, 10:07 AM
Hmm, I thought NASA had given up on the idea of a robotic repair. I guess that only applied to the usual NASA contractors such as Boeing and Mcdonald Douglass, If they can pull it off at a resonable price, then it is a good idea.

Midnight_Toker
2005-Jan-07, 09:06 PM
Reading news like this makes me proud to be canadian :D:D

6EQUJ5
2005-Jan-07, 11:49 PM
Thank you Canada!!!