PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: What's Up This Week - Jan 10 - ...

Fraser
2005-Jan-10, 07:36 PM
SUMMARY: Greetings, fellow SkyWatchers! This week begins on the "dark side" as we welcome New Moon at perigee and do an in-depth study of a portion of the Eridanus/Fornax galaxy fields with targets viewable by a variety of scope sizes and skill levels. (Veteran galaxy hunters? You asked for it - you got it! I think you'll appreciate these challenges!) We will continue to track the progress of the Mercury/Venus pairing as they appear about one-third a degree apart by mid-week and head off together into the sunrise by week's end. We will greet the "Old Moon In The New Moon's Arms" and watch as Saturn reaches opposition. The Southern Hemisphere will enjoy Comet LINEAR K4 as it cruises past Lambda Pictor and those in the north will take on an incredibly old galactic cluster - M37. Not enough? Then hold on tight to your optics as the "Magnificent Machholz" not only sweeps by Algol, but does so during a time when the Demon Star "does its thing"! The Delta Cancrid meteor shower fills the exciting weekend agenda, so hope for clear skies and get thee outside...

Because here's what's up!

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/whatsup_jan10_2005.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

lswinford
2005-Jan-10, 10:15 PM
I'm sure glad you folks put up notes and directions like that. Unfortunately, the good ones tend to appear when I've got cloudy skies. :(

TheAstronomer
2005-Jan-11, 12:13 AM
Weep not for the clouds, for the weep on us!

Hang in there, dude. Both Eridanus and Fornax will be prime for study for at least another month. The first few days of this week would be great because of no Moon, or early Moon set... But it won't be long until it doesn't rise until late and you'll have the chance again!

Of course, if you live in Ohio it might be the year 2027... ;)

Light speed!

~Tammy