PDA

View Full Version : dangeruos phenomenon

scorpionman_53
2005-Jan-12, 11:29 AM
what's dangerous phenomenon, which is dangerous for all living beings :o in earth.

antoniseb
2005-Jan-12, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by scorpionman_53@Jan 12 2005, 11:29 AM
what's dangerous phenomenon, which is dangerous for all living beings in earth.
Is this a quiz, or are you writing a story?
Most of these astronomincal ones are already well-used in stories:
- comet or asteroid impact
- nearby supernova
- nearby GRB aimed at us
- the sun goes through a flare stage
- black hole or old neutron star passes through the inner solar system
- alien plague
- greedy smart aliens
- robotic alien servants
- runaway alien nanotech gray-ooze.

ferg.c.
2005-Jan-14, 08:42 AM
Hey Anton,
you forgot about the No.1 dangerous phenomenon: man!
Watch out he's a kiiler!
Cheers
Ferg ;)

damienpaul
2005-Jan-14, 12:53 PM
especially barbarians with beards.....

scorpionman_53
2005-Jan-14, 12:54 PM
no
I thought that the dangerous phenomenon is earth stoping :) :huh:

antoniseb
2005-Jan-14, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by scorpionman_53@Jan 14 2005, 12:54 PM
I thought that the dangerous phenomenon is earth stoping
OK, that would be dangerous, but at the moment, we don't know of any way that that is going to happen. Would you like to elaborate.

StarLab
2005-Jan-14, 05:50 PM
The earth cannot "stop" in the sense you're thinking, Scorpoman.

Anton, you also forgot mutation, viruses, self-organization, and Verneshot.

Sphinx
2005-Jan-14, 05:57 PM
I think barbarians migrating from one planet to the next in high tech spaceships plundering the galaxy in their speedos, long beards and large battle axes would be pretty dangerous!!! :lol: Caveman meets space war mongerors

antoniseb
2005-Jan-14, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by StarLab@Jan 14 2005, 05:50 PM
Anton, you also forgot mutation, viruses, self-organization, and Verneshot.
I didn't so much forget them, as not count them [or man's self-destructive tendencies] as astronomical phenomena. I certainly take them seriously [except Verneshot, which, now having read about I take somewhat seriously, but had previously never heard of before].

I also didn't mention super-caldara, super-iceage, creation of a small balck-hole, ice-nine, or super-ennui.

But I certainly didn't mention the Earth stopping. Who'd have imagined?

damienpaul
2005-Jan-15, 02:00 AM
I think barbarians migrating from one planet to the next in high tech spaceships plundering the galaxy in their speedos, long beards and large battle axes would be pretty dangerous!!! Caveman meets space war mongerors

sounds like a typical day at the office, Sphinx

StarLab
2005-Jan-15, 04:20 AM
Yeah Dame, always fighting the ray gun-toting employer with your club? :P :lol: :D

Sphinx
2005-Jan-15, 11:01 PM
:lol: :lol: Funny. In all reality though, I do believe that man poses the highest probability of generating the most lethal phenomena of all possibly conceivable catostrophies. We'd all be hard pressed to find someone who disagrees with this. While there are many dangerous phenomena out there, each with their calculated likelyhood of occurance, we can all be certain that it is us, ourselves that will likely be the cause of our own demise. Likewise, it will also be ourselves that saves us, if possible.

Nereid
2005-Jan-21, 02:00 AM
Climatic change (e.g. melting of the Greenland Icesheet, cessation of the Gulf Stream). There are >6 billion homo sap. here on Earth, and those in developed economies tend to get hysterical when a mere 0.01% die in an unusual way (there are some shameful exceptions, of course).

However, our collective ability to adjust to any significant (global climate) change is marginal at best. Yet in the last decade or so we should have become very aware of how close to the edge our dependence on the continuity of major climate patterns is, and how frighteningly likely those patterns are to major change, in the space of a mere decade or so.

Dave Mitsky
2005-Jan-21, 03:02 AM
For the apocalypse of your choice see http://www.xs4all.nl/~mke/exitmundi.htm

I'd pay attention to the oil crash scenario...

Dave Mitsky

GOURDHEAD
2005-Jan-21, 03:21 PM
Here (http://www.meta-religion.com/Archaeology/Other/verneshot_cause_of_dinosuars.htm) is a description of verneshot. I wonder whether the thermal and shear stress properties of crustal material would allow conditions at the extremes required for the magnitude of the shot described in the link. It seems more likely that the pressure would be relieved by distribution within the magma below the hard crust. But then the pipe could be under Mount Everest and powered by some unusual and bounded heat source.

Excerpted from the linked data:

Gases would surge up and burst out at the surface, poisoning the atmosphere and causing severe environmental stress around the world. The blast would trigger a magnitude 11 earthquake, bigger than any quake ever recorded. But this would be just a prelude to the main event. Immediately after the explosion, pressure would plummet in the pipe that carried the gases, causing it to cave in from the bottom upwards. The collapse would travel up at hypersonic speed, erupting with unimaginable force at the surface and hurling as much as 20 gigatonnes of rock into the stratosphere. The energy released would be equivalent to 120 billion tonnes of TNT, or seven million of the atom bombs that destroyed Hiroshima at the end of the Second World War. Debris would rain down from the sky, and dust would blot out the sun to cause the same kind of climate changing effects as an impact from space. A large piece of rock from a Verneshot blast landing on the Earth would produce a crater in the same way as an asteroid or comet. An object ejected from the Deccan Traps could explain why the Chicxulub crater, linked to the extinction of the dinosaurs, is so lopsided.

I am puzzled by the collapse starting at the bottom of the pipe being able to generate such force in the manner described although the size 11 earthquake is plausible from the gas explosion. It's odd to call a force unimaginable after just having imagined it.