PDA

View Full Version : Rain on Titan

antoniseb
2005-Jan-21, 03:50 PM
Here's a story from CNN, which discusses some of the more trivial chemical results from the Huygens probe.

Flammible Titan (http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/01/21/space.titan.reut/index.html)

They point out that Titan would catch fire, if only we could get some molecular Oxygen up there.

One of the things that they discuss is the idea that a lot ofthe channels we see in the images imply that liquid is dropped on the more solid surface in the form of rain, which happens rarely up there. I was wondering if perhaps it rains on Titan at night. Do we see thicker clouds on Titan on the morning terminator?

suntrack2
2005-Jan-21, 04:51 PM
possibility cannot be ruled out of acidic rains on titan?? may be of concentrated?

lswinford
2005-Jan-21, 08:51 PM
I bet Exxon's planning a tanker (Exxon Solar Valdez, to replace an infamous tanker of theirs that ran aground a few years back). Considering it would be almost easier to fill their tanks on Titan than to get drilling approval within the borders of the United States, I bet it is inviting. (Getting approval to drill for oil and gas almost anywhere else is no problem, just the US). The time table to getting the Titan "field" online is about the same.

PS. Thanks, it was an interesting article.

Ola D.
2005-Jan-21, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the article.

Is the process of condensation and rain precipitation on Titan is the same as the Earth? Since its cloud's composition is different from that on Earth, then it'll probably involve other processes for cloud formation and methane cycle.