PDA

View Full Version : What languages do you speak?

Betelgeuse
2005-Jan-23, 09:57 AM
I noticed that people like sharing what languages they can speak, so why don't we turn it into an interesting discussion!

Why not tell us what languages you speak and maybe give us a breif insite by writing a few sentences in your language?

damienpaul
2005-Jan-23, 10:59 AM
Well asides from English, Mathematics and Gibberish, I can speak French and little Japanese, Arabic, Aranda and Pitjinjantjarra

The final two are Indigenous dialects from around Central Australia

Moseley
2005-Jan-23, 12:05 PM
I can get a beer, food or a room in most countries in western Europe, dunno about the Balkans, Baltic states etc. Learnt Russian at school, and latin makes Spanish and Italian fairly easy to understand. French is my second language and the only one I am really confident in.

rahuldandekar
2005-Jan-23, 01:11 PM
I speak Hindi, Marathi and English ( obviously).

Marathi: Ata pudhche vakya hindit lihito.

Hindi : Kisisko yeh bhasha aati hai kya?

Translation: Marathi: next sentence will be in Hindi.
Hindi: Does anyone know this language?

( These are the sentences I wrote).

StarLab
2005-Jan-23, 03:38 PM
Well, I'm caucasian in an area becoming predominantly spanish, but my second language is French lol.

I may learn latin or russian when I begin college.

Ola D.
2005-Jan-23, 03:56 PM
I know Arabic in almost all dialects, and English.
I used to take French at school but stopped now; I still remember some phrases though.

antoniseb
2005-Jan-23, 05:45 PM
Whoa! we have some linguists here. English only for me. I have over the years studied other languages, and was never fluent in any of them [I was close in French]. In descending order of time studied: English, French, German, Latin, Italian, Middle English, Spanish, Ancient French, Homeric Greek, the two Tolkein Elvish languages, Arabic, Portugeuse, Hebrew, Nepali, and Tibetian. Of these I can currently only construct simple sentences [and not handy sentances either, things like "The sailor sees the green farmer"] in the first six. Oh yeah, and like Damo, I know Gibberish. I use it fluently in some of my theatrical productions.

Did you know Gibberish is named after a famous Arabic Scientist from around the tenth century?

Fraser
2005-Jan-23, 06:12 PM
English, a medium amount of French, and now two semesters of Spanish. I'm actually really enjoying learning new languages, and I want to start collecting them. I'm thinking Mandarin next... just for the challenge.

AstroStart.nl
2005-Jan-23, 06:24 PM
I speak Dutch and my 2nd language is English. I can also speak a little French and German.

Ola D.
2005-Jan-23, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by antoniseb@Jan 23 2005, 05:45 PM
Did you know Gibberish is named after a famous Arabic Scientist from around the tenth century?
He's an Arabic Chemist called Jabir Ibn Hayyan from the 11th centuary. I guess it's because he used a certain terminology in some of his works so that only his students can have access to them.

You can find more details Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geber).

In the literarture class, I took a novel about the Chinese culture. It had some Mandarin, it doesn't sound easy at all.

imported_Selene
2005-Jan-23, 07:26 PM
Hi all!

There were mentioned many languages and I add languages which I can speak, but they were mentioned too- English and German ( just a little). But there was nothing about my native language- Slovak.

Slovak: Mam radost ze tu je kopa ludi ktori maju rovnako radi nocnu oblohu ako ja.

Selene

Betelgeuse
2005-Jan-23, 08:05 PM
Bof! Je suis stupéfiée! Au moins six membres de Univers Aujourd'hui parler Français! Formidable!
Cor! I'm Shocked! At least six members of Universe Today speak French! Excellent!

Oes yna rhywun yn medru siarad Cymraeg o gwbl ar y wefan yma?
Can anybody speak Welsh on this site?

Ich sprechen einiger auf deutsch, unglücklicherweise!
I speak some in german, unfortunately.

Parla inglese? Lei capisce?
Can you speak English? Do you understand?

bossman20081
2005-Jan-23, 10:19 PM
I speak English and am learning French (almost two trimesters). I don't really care for French though; I'm only taking it for the French credits.

Spacemad
2005-Jan-23, 11:55 PM
As I think most people know on the UT forum that SpaceMad speaks, reads & writes English & Spanish fluently. He also knows a smattering of French & can understand a few words (only written!) in many European languages.

My wife & I were in Brussels for the weekend two weeks ago - she can speak some French but most people can speak English quite well. I turned the TV on in the hotel we stayed at hoping to find at least one channel in English - but no such luck! :( But what I did find was a channel in Italian - I also found that I could understand a great deal of what was being said - much to my surprise!!! :rolleyes:

I did start to learn French while I lived in Spain but didn´t take it very seriously - which reminds me, I once started a course in Esperanto! (Anybody here know Esperanto?) Again, although I found it interesting, I didn´t take it very seriously. It´s a man made language, not a natural language.

Btw, we went to Belgium to a Fan Dinner & Concert of a Belgian singer called Helmut Lotti. He speaks & sings in many languages. He learnt English as a boy listening to Elvis´ songs (he now sings Elvis better than Elvis himself!!! But he is NO imitator of him, i.e. he never dresses like him but just sings his songs - he has a CD called "My Tribute To The King" & if you listen to it you would swear it was Elvis singing!!!!!) As I write this I´m listening to some of his songs here on the computer - his latest CD is called "From Russia With Love" & he sings many songs in Russian on it - as well as English. He made the CD in Russia.

We have another CD of his called "Latino Love Songs". As you might imagine from the title it´s in Spanish! It was made in Mexico.

In the concert he sang in his native tongue, Flemish, very similar to Dutch, in French, English, Russian, Spanish, Italian & some African tongue!!!!! :rolleyes:

Buffy
2005-Jan-24, 01:06 AM
My native language is dutch, but another language I speak is english. I know a bit of, German and a few words of , French, Italian, Spanich, Hungarian, Ewokian and Elvish :P

Janice
2005-Jan-24, 01:18 AM
:o Wow, Why does everyone speak another language but me!!!
I took Italian and German at school and got (almost) the best grades but I really can&#39;t speak a word of either language. All I speak is english. <_<

Bluewolf027
2005-Jan-24, 04:20 PM
As far as spoken languages go, I speak English, some French, and I have the basics of Spanish covered.

BUT

I also am fluent in Java, PHP, HTML, C++, SQL - does that count? :D

Fraser
2005-Jan-24, 06:03 PM
Zwei Biere danke
Dos cervezas por favor
Deux bières s&#39;il vous plait
beer=beer++;

blueshift
2005-Jan-24, 07:15 PM
English is my native tongue while I like to dive into the study of linguism and usually go through the equivalent of one or two semesters of several languages.
Spanish I took up for 2 years and still use it here and there..

Here&#39;s some of the others: Chinese, Kiswahili, Korean, Ukranian, Arabic, Farsi,
Vietnamese, Japanese, French, Danish...all in descending order..

Wah kway shwah ee dee ar poo tung qua..Wah shwah duh boo hao.
( I speak a little Chinese, not very well)..

I&#39;ll add to the list in the future, including some of the African clicking languages..
It helps with writing poetry..

blueshift

Spacemad
2005-Jan-25, 12:43 AM
Chookaroo, how comes you haven´t picked up Spanish after all the years you have lived with Rosa?

After 30 years with Rosa you should have some idea of Spanish&#33;

I see that quite a few people know here know some Spanish (¡Veo que hay bastante gente aquí que habla el español, incluyendo a Fraser&#33;&#33; Vamos a tener que iniciar una tema en español,¿no te parece, Fraser? :P )

Matthew
2005-Jan-25, 06:13 AM
I probably should try and learn another language but I find it very difficult to learn them and as I don&#39;t have enough determination with languages.... I&#39;m just thankful that English is the universal language of science&#33;

Though one day I may learn (or be forced to learn).

Josh
2005-Jan-25, 06:29 AM
Other than English i know a fair amount of Hebrew. I&#39;m also learning Arabic. It&#39;s similar to Hebrew in a lot of ways so it&#39;s relatively easy to pick up. Like Fraser, I want to learn Mandarine next. I&#39;ve been looking at these course where you can go an study the language in situ. So, China ... look out. I&#39;d also love to learn more Italian at some point.

I can read and understand a little Aramaic and (to a lesser extent) German but can&#39;t speak either.

damienpaul
2005-Jan-25, 06:50 AM
I am taking up two languages - Japanese (which I have very basic knowledge of) and Yorta Yorta - another Indigenous dialect

damienpaul
2005-Jan-25, 11:17 AM
Surely you would have picked the swear words???

Moseley
2005-Jan-25, 12:03 PM
Hi - multilinguists - I would love to visit China and am not afraid to give a phrase book a go (obviously trickier reading with many thousand character script), is the language they speak not Cantonese? I thought Mandarin was the govenment language and as such would not get you far in the country.
We are lucky that the Dutch, Belgians, Germans and Scandinavians are all such great linguists - they generally speak better English than we do.
Yeah Fraser - thats about the size of it.

madaboutyou
2005-Jan-25, 01:37 PM
Hi all

I speak a little english but am not quite fluent.

Interesting this thread was starting because I was reading a recent article in new scientist magazine the other day and it was investigating why some people can learn many many languages and why some of us stuggle with just one.

It said this guy could speak 70+ languages. What a guy. he&#39;s dead now but apparently it runs in his family what with his son and his son son having this remarkable ability as well.

Anyhow, im the newbie here from jolly good old England and hope to have some great chats with all of you some time soon.

B)

damienpaul
2005-Jan-25, 01:48 PM
Welcome to teh forum skull&#33;

kashi
2005-Jan-25, 02:41 PM
I speak English (obviously) and enough Japanese to get me by in Japan (nowhere near fluent though). Does anyone speak Bork Bork Bork? ( http://www.google.com/intl/xx-bork/ )

man from kibish
2005-Jan-25, 03:18 PM
Hello there&#33; I&#39;m from Malta, the little Islands in the centre of the Mediterranean sea. We have our own language and considering that there are only 400k inhabitants [excluding those living in Canada/Australia/UK] our language must be one of the smallest. Maltese is a semetic language. Here&#39;s a sentence.

L-ghodwa t-tajba lilkom ilkoll.
Good morning to you all.

In Malta we have probably the oldest free standing temples, one of which was declared as a World heritage site.
http://www.heritagemalta.org/hagarqim.html

Beside Maltese and English I can speak Italian [forza Inter] and chess.

ChromeStar
2005-Jan-25, 07:51 PM
Hi guys

lets see. i speak english as a first language, Afrikaans as a second and bits of hebrew, french & Xhosa - with odd word of other languages here and there ;)

Okay, Afrikaans for those of you who&#39; aren&#39;t familier with Afrikaans, it is native to south africa and originates from dutch, english and a few other local languages.

Here a phrase: :D

Goeie more, hoe gaan dit ?

In english it means... Good morning, how is it going?

and

Totsiens

means good-bye.

Moseley
2005-Jan-26, 12:43 PM
Man from Kibish - very interesting. Right now there is a massive translation problem at the EU because of the Maltese language and there are not enough workers to process all the bumph. Apparently it is building up and at latest recruitment exercise they found 1 suitable candidate (now very busy). May be a job out there, have to guess it&#39;d be extra dull.

Edwin
2005-Feb-08, 09:48 AM
Bore Da Rigel - Yes some others who read this site do speak welsh. However I would not say I am one as i am classified as a plastic Welshman. In my defence I lived away for 20 years.

I can add Scandihooligan to the list of languages. This is based on Swedish which will normally give you a decent understanding of Norwegian and as long as they speak slowly and don&#39;t try to tell you any numbers over 20 a good understanding of Danish.

Ed J

dmccarroll
2005-Feb-10, 04:15 AM
I speak some German, A little Irish Gealic and of course English. My wife claims that my native tongue of Appalacian hillbilly english is another language. I suppose it could be considered that as most of the rest of the U.S. has a hard time understanding it.

Betelgeuse
2005-Feb-10, 05:06 PM
S&#39;mai Ed? Braf i weld fod rhywun arall yn gallu siarad Cymraeg&#33;

ChromeStar
2005-Feb-10, 08:15 PM
And that means??...... :) :huh:

wstevenbrown
2005-Feb-10, 08:43 PM
My milk tongue is also Hillbilly. I have scattered fragments of every tongue which contributed to the creation of English I have kept enough Spanish and Japanese to order a meal, swear at a cab driver, and get in trouble with ladies. S

John L
2005-Feb-10, 09:43 PM
My first laguage is Cajun, but I&#39;m also fluent in Texan, American English, Canadian English, and England English. I took German in school but don&#39;t remember much. I also know enough phrases to get around or start a fight in Spanish, Italian, French, and Japanese. My company has some operations in Japan so I&#39;m going to learn it so they&#39;ll send me there for work, but so far all I know is what I&#39;ve learned from anime shows.

dmccarroll
2005-Feb-11, 02:47 AM
An te nach mbionn laidir ni follair do bheith glic &#33;

Translated into english:

He who is not strong must be very cunning&#33;

Into hillbilly:

If ye caint whup em, fox em&#33;

Algenon the mouse
2005-Feb-12, 04:29 AM
I speak fluent German (use to live there)

I know American Sign (can&#39;t really speak that one)

And I read and understand a little Spanish.

Oh, and I bet you could not tell that I speak American (Yankee) English as well.

nomadicdemon
2005-Feb-14, 08:46 PM
Wow, I can only speak English and Spanish, but I want to learn Japanese [which is going to be extremely difficult for me] also, maybe Italian....maybe.... B)

Callisto
2005-Feb-15, 12:19 AM
I was born in Karlovac, Croatia and came to US in 1999. So I speak Serbo-Croatian, English, and a little bit of Spanish.

Spacemad
2005-Feb-15, 08:48 AM
I see that just on this page there are 5 people who know Spanish, in varying degrees&#33; :)

¿De dónde habéis aprendido el español, chicos? Como Fraser también sabe algo de español, ¡vamos a tener que comenzar un tema en la lengua de Cervantes&#33;
¿Qué os parece?

If anybody wants to know what I´ve written in Spanish, just ask&#33; :P

Betelgeuse
2005-Feb-15, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Rigel@Feb 10 2005, 05:06 PM
S&#39;mai Ed? Braf i weld fod rhywun arall yn gallu siarad Cymraeg&#33;
Sorry, forgot to translate:

How are you, Ed? Nice to see that someone else can speak Welsh&#33;

TwAgIssmuDe
2005-Feb-15, 11:04 AM
Gosh, then I think I&#39;m the only one who can speak Kinyarwanda, I am from Rwanda. But also speak somehow fluent danish, since I&#39;ve been living here half of my life.

Ngyewe nkunda inyenyeri cyane..

Just translated my signature in Kinyarwanda.

Det er så godt at se mange snakke så mange forkellig sprog her.

Its god to see people speak many different languages here. (Danish)

:)

suntrack2
2005-Feb-15, 12:23 PM
Interesting topic here &#33;, thanks

well I speak in home Marathi, outside Marathi+Hindi+English+few gujrathi+few Telgu+few banjara+few Bengali

for example i am writing here in marathi :

"Apan phar chhan aahat, universe today hey ek phar changle phorum aahe ani ithle lok ani members pan chhan aahet. "

translation :> You are all people very nice, the universe today forum is the best,
and the members and personalities too.

sunil( the meaning of sunil is "deep-blue", the name of God Shiva,God Vishnu)
and other meaning : sun is looking :D

Pierre
2005-Feb-16, 07:38 PM
I am French. Other is French?

Je parle français. Vous habiter prés de chez moi? J&#39;habite à Pays Bas.

Betelgeuse
2005-Feb-18, 09:05 PM
That&#39;s nice Pierre. Welcome to the forums&#33;

vet
2005-Feb-18, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by StarLab@Jan 23 2005, 03:38 PM
Well, I&#39;m caucasian in an area becoming predominantly spanish, but my second language is French lol.

I may learn latin or russian when I begin college.
i used to be fluent in french and russian---i think you&#39;d love russian, although in the USA spanish is near a requirement. fyi---as russian is the only extant &#39;created language&#39;, Saint Cyrill dumped most &#39;exceptions&#39;, once you get the alphabet, it&#39;s wonderful---easily the most &#39;precise&#39; language.

vet
2005-Feb-18, 11:36 PM
english drives people nutz&#33; so many &#39;exceptions&#39;, &#39;idiomatic expressions&#39;---&#39;esperanto&#39; seemed a good solution, where&#39;d it go?????

scorpio711
2005-Feb-19, 12:39 AM
Wow, nice thread and very nice idea :).
Je parle évidemment le français... (I obviously speak french), as well as english, my second language. Then I used to be quite fluent in german (aber ich hab&#39; fast alles fergessen - I have forgotten nearly all), and know a bit of spanish, and a bit of russian.
Last but not least, I&#39;m learning Bisaya- my wife&#39;s language - she is from Mindanao, Philippines:
Maayung gabii, kumusta ka? (good evening, how are you?)

imported_Andromeda321
2005-Feb-23, 08:40 PM
In addition to English I speak fluent Hungarian. I was born in the states but my parents are both Hungarians, which explains why I know a language completely unrelated to anything else (except Finnish and Estonian a little gramatically).
I also did four years of Latin in high school and a term of Spanish, but I don&#39;t think those count. <_<

extrasolar giant
2005-Mar-05, 10:11 PM
Taim mar ceann de 30,000 daoine in Eirinn gur feidir an Gaeilge a labhairt go liofa&#33;

I am one of 30,000 people in Ireland who can speak Irish fluently&#33;
(I learnt in my school which is all Irish at 12 years old.I could only previously speak broken Irish)

Je parle en peu Francais ensuite

P.S.it would be nice to be able to use an accent or a "fada" in the forum

damienpaul
2005-Mar-06, 12:29 AM
now everyone use your language to say "Party at Fraser&#39;s"

Spacemad
2005-Mar-06, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by damienpaul@Mar 6 2005, 12:29 AM
now everyone use your language to say "Party at Fraser&#39;s"

¡¡Fiesta en casa de Fraser&#33;&#33;

¿Quién se apunta?

¡Podéis responder en español&#33; :P

Betelgeuse
2005-Mar-06, 09:49 AM
Dewch am barti i dy Fraser&#33;

extrasolar giant
2005-Mar-06, 02:22 PM
Feasta in ait Fraser

j0seph
2005-Mar-06, 02:55 PM
Party at Fraser&#39;s&#33;
Fiesta in la casa de Fraser&#33;
Partei am Haus von Fraser&#33; (I think that is correct - I am still learning)

oh, and Rigel? what language is this? "Dewch am barti i dy Fraser&#33; ", I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve seen it before...

StarLab
2005-Mar-06, 04:38 PM
Hey, dude&#33; Hit the rocks at Fraser&#39;s pad, man&#33; :lol: :P

(I think Faulkner could say this much better ;) )

ASEI
2005-Mar-06, 09:41 PM
I speak C, FORTRAN, MATLAB, Html.

Oh, yeah, I also speak American: particularly midwestern American (not to be confused with English). :)

damienpaul
2005-Mar-07, 02:06 AM
didyabringyagrogalong to Fraser&#39;s&#33;&#33;&#33;

:P

John L
2005-Mar-07, 08:41 PM
Cajun: Iiiiieeeee. You all come on down to Fraser&#39;s for a crawfish boil.
Texan: Yeeehaaa. Ya&#39;ll mosey on over to Frasers for a bar-b-que.