PDA

View Full Version : Space Exploration Survey

StarLab
2005-Jan-24, 05:37 PM
Because I cannot do a poll, I will ask the following in MC form:

Should NASA scrap its participation in the ISS?

A. Yes

B. No

Should NASA scrap the Shuttle program before 2010?

A. Yes

B. No

Should the Hubble be kept in operation and on budget as long as possible?

A. Yes

B. No

Should a colony be set up on the moon first or on Mars first?

A. Moon

B. Mars

Should NASA work more closely with:

A. The Federal Government

B. Private Enterprise

C. Other Space Agencies in foreign nations (ESA, Russia, China, etc.)

antoniseb
2005-Jan-24, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by StarLab@Jan 24 2005, 05:37 PM
I will ask the following in MC form
- eventually yes, but not now.

- No, but it is prudent to plan now for how to get to orbit without it.

- Yes, when you include that "on-budget" thing. After that, what is possible is expensive enough to squash other important new science efforts.

- Colony? Operations should be set up on the Moon first.

- We should let NASA's connections to the world outside the federal government evolve, and not define it now. Any idea you have about this now will change as the world changes.

marrsc
2005-Jan-24, 09:32 PM

B. No. Its the only game in town

B. No. Not until it has been replaced by other vehicles

A. Yes. And I am trying to figure out how to do it.

A. Moon. But probably not in the next 50 years.

C. Other Space Agencies in foreign nations (ESA, Russia, China, etc.) I am not too sure about this one since international competition is one of the political drivers that has kept the space program alive.

John L
2005-Jan-24, 11:51 PM

B. No - I think we should use the ISS to test the life support and radiation shield ideas that will be used to keep people alive in the Moon-Mars-Beyond initiative. By 2015 we should have a few ideas worked out through ISS research.

B. No - We need to finish the ISS, and I've heard of no other manned capable transport that can lift the pieces and people necessary to finish that job.

B. No - We've got Hubble's replacement in the works, and ground based interferometers with adaptive optics have basically caught up. By the time we retire the James-Webb, we'll hopefully have operations on the Moon that can be expanded to include lunar observatories.

A. Moon - If we mess up they're a short hop away. If we get it right we'll not only know we can survive Mars, which is less hostile than the Moon, but the asteroids and the moons of Jupiter, too. Plus, I'd like to see us start to utilize the Moon's resources.

A. The Federal Government - NASA is the Federal Government. How could they work more closely?

B. Private Enterprise - YES! Anyone that can do it cheaper, better, or faster should be able to bid on and win government contracts. StarShipOne, Falcon1, and any other ship should be used.

C. Other Space Agencies in foreign nations (ESA, Russia, China, etc.) - YES!!! The really big projects will take the expertise of every nation on Earth. If China's manned capsule is really an leap beyond Soyuz, then we should consider working with them. And we should offer flights to scientists from non-space capable nations, too... as long as we get to share the research.

zephyr46
2005-Jan-25, 01:16 AM

B. No

A. Yes, particularly if they can replace it with a cheaper, safer system.

A. Yes, but again, I don't think this should neccesarily be burdened on America, it would be better with the participation of other counties.

A. Moon

B. Private Enterprise

C. Other Space Agencies in foreign nations (ESA, Russia, China, etc.) Yes, and co-ordinated by a commitee of the UN, (it is about time the UN gave us all somthing to look forward to!)

3rdvogon
2005-Jan-25, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by StarLab@Jan 24 2005, 05:37 PM

B. No as others have said is a useful proving ground for systems that will been needed for further exploration.

B. No there needs to be something that can haul heavy loads to low orbit and it looks like a viable replacement (unless I have missed something) is probably more than 10 years away.

B. No - My gut reaction is we should keep it as long as possible but others have suggested that advances in technologies elsewhere, mean that we should be able continue with valuable observations with those until it becomes possible to build something even bigger and better outside our atmosphere, whether that be in orbit or on the moon. If we cannot afford to maintain the Hubble and do all the other things then perhaps the Hubble should be sacrificed even if it has done great service.

A. Moon - Whilst I am hungry to see us get to Mars and offer more potentia for interesting discoveries - we need to walk before we try to run lets prove we can support a research station (not a colony) for a long period on the moon where the abort escape route is only a couple of days rather than a couple of years.

B. Private Enterprise

B and C (although A is not going to go away) What perhaps would be of greater benefit would be to give NASA more freedom to pick and chose free from meddling by politicians - The should just give it the budget and let it go ahead and deliver the results but they should be specifically and rigorously excluded from lobbying for contracts for their own political ends which may well increase both the delays and costs of various programmes.

aeolus
2005-Jan-25, 08:16 PM
- Not until it has a better research platform to spend its money on.

- Not until it has a better way to get into orbit.

- It should be kept in operation, and it should be kept on budget; if they can pull that off, kudos to them.

- We'll have to practice on the moon, but actually colonize Mars first.

- A little bit of everything - but I think its most important that we stay friendly with the other nations of the world.

ChromeStar
2005-Jan-25, 08:45 PM
Because I cannot do a poll, I will ask the following in MC form:

B. No, to many funds have been used up and it would be a waste.

B. No, not until there are replacement Vehicles.

A. Yes, until a better replacemant has been found.

A. Moon, if a development should happen, the moon is our stepping stone to the Universe.

B. Private Enterprise

All of the above, the more organisations work together the faster, safer and cheaper things can be done, thus benifiting the world!

wstevenbrown
2005-Jan-26, 04:08 AM
B-B-A-A-(N/A) NASA should be scrapped-- phased out as its replacement is designed-- goals set by researchers-- performance and safety standards set by engineers-- missions commanded by astronauts. These criteria have not applied to NASA ever, altho, after the pork-barrel apportioning was done, the Mercury/Apollo era came close. S

Betelgeuse
2005-Jan-26, 04:43 PM
Why not wait a while before doing anything like that Should NASA scrap its participation in the ISS?
No, it's quite a neccesity, really Should the Hubble be kept in operation and on budget as long as possible?
Yes - I love Hubble, I consider it as being one of the best opportunities to see explore...... Should a colony be set up on the moon first or on Mars first?
The moon - it's closer and therefore we can test the upsides and downsides of colonization in space...... C. Other Space Agencies in foreign nations (ESA, Russia, China, etc.)
They do great work seperately, so imagine what could happen if they were to work together on a specific project?