PDA

View Full Version : The travel bug

damienpaul
2005-Jan-28, 12:08 PM
G'day again folks, I was just writing a letter to an old school friend, about the travels I have done....

Although my travelling is restricted to Australia and New Zealand, this is what I told her:

"In 10 years, I have travelled far and wide, enjoying the journeys as much as the destinations.

I have travelled by train through the deserts to Western Australia and from Alice Springs in the living red heart of the continent. I have the watched the landscape undergo transition from forest, to grassland to desert and then back again from the seat of a train. By bus, I have seen much of the eastern coastline, looking out on endless oceans...

...at King Island I was on a boat out on the continental shelf, and when the storm passed the ocean calmed, and forever laid out before my eyes. It was the same when the mist evaporated from a town high in the Snowy Mountains and to look at the endless plains was breathtaking...

...over the seas to New Zealand where I sat amongst the steam vents of Rotorua, landed on the active volcano White Island by helicopter and saw the expanse of the great city of Auckland from the impressive Skytower...

....seen cities, towns, villages - both historical and new, stood at many War Memorials and cheered the Anzacs as they passed in so many towns, from large marches of hundreds in capital cities, to just 1 veteran marching -with pride on his worn yet keen face with excited and equally proud grandchildren in tow, to the cheers of the entire town, young and old....

....have lived in many places across teh continent, where my travelling will end I do not know, as I am, like everyone still on the journey. My heart and mind still live in these places as their memories still exist within me. The journey continues..."

So i'd say I still have the travel bug...

rahuldandekar
2005-Jan-28, 01:18 PM
Nope, never been outside my own state. And I have gone outside mumbai only 3 times. So I don't have the travel bug. But I know many who have ( and I somewaht envy them ...) .

antoniseb
2005-Jan-28, 02:32 PM
I used to get the "travel bug", but not in the last few years. I was pretty well satisfied by having a lot of business trips, which while they were all confined to this planet, did get me to see a lot of the variety this planet offers. The two downsides were: one- the eventual conforming of my bottom to the shape of an airline seat, and two- being away from my family.

At this point, I've seen it, and will happily see it again, but I'm not itching to get there.

StarLab
2005-Jan-28, 06:21 PM
Rahul, whenever you do get the travel bug, I advise you to stay out of the Americas, Europe and Asia (not counting Japan).

ChromeStar
2005-Jan-28, 07:36 PM
Why do you say that StarLab? :huh:

Does the travel bug count, if you really want to travel damo? :huh:

i've only been to Namibia and Parts of South Africa.

Betelgeuse
2005-Jan-28, 08:03 PM
I've been to France a few times - Lille, Paris twice, Lake Geneva - Anamasse (on the Swiss/French Border), Arras and also Pays de Loire - St Florent, Angers and further south, Potiers.

Italy - Tuskany (Monticatine Terme, Florence, Lucca, Pisa),

Germany - a small town (can't really remember what it's called)

Austria - Vienna

Czeck Republic - Prague

Hungary - Budapest

France has to be the favourite though!

ChromeStar
2005-Jan-28, 08:09 PM
you sure get around :D ;)

Duane
2005-Jan-28, 09:09 PM
I've been all over western Canada and the Northwestern US by vehicle, and to Mexico's coasts--Cancun and Puerto Valarta (sp?). I'm planning a trip to Florida via Washington/Maryland where I have some inlaws, whenever the shuttles get flying again, and a trip to see relatives who recently moved to Nova Scotia (the far east side of Canada).

Maybe while in the Eastern US I'll have to drop by antoniseb's place! :)

Oh, and a trip to the Neatherlands to watch VanderL eat some crow. ;) He even said he would pay!

Travel is great!

ChromeStar
2005-Jan-28, 09:18 PM
I would love to visit florida and miami. whats it like?

jimmy
2005-Jan-28, 10:13 PM
I have to leave in a few minutes to play a gig, but I like this thread and I'll post in it tomorrow. ;)

StarLab
2005-Jan-28, 10:18 PM
OK, from LA I've gone to:

Mexico City
Toronto
Boston/Buffalo/NYC
France
Germany
England
Baltica

Duane
2005-Jan-28, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by ChromeStar@Jan 28 2005, 02:18 PM
I would love to visit florida and miami. whats it like?
Mostly hot and sunny, occasionally really windy! :P

ChromeStar
2005-Jan-29, 08:42 AM
Anyone familier with the University of Miami?

I'm considering going there when i'm finished with school.

Betelgeuse
2005-Jan-29, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by StarLab@Jan 28 2005, 10:18 PM
OK, from LA I've gone to:

Mexico City
Toronto
Boston/Buffalo/NYC
France
Germany
England
Baltica
Hi,

Where exactly in France and England?

StarLab
2005-Jan-29, 04:35 PM
England: London

France: Paris, Normandy, Bordeaux, and Versailles

galaxygirl
2005-Jan-29, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by ChromeStar@Jan 29 2005, 03:42 AM
Anyone familier with the University of Miami?

I'm considering going there when i'm finished with school.
I have University of Miami as one of my choices if I can't get into the Air Force Academy. If you go to their site (http://www.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/) you can request an information brochure.

I love travelling but havn't been off north America or anywhere farther west than Alabama. I've been to Florida, Alabama, and New York once but I might be able to go to Alabama this summer. I've travelled all around New England because the states are close enough to drive to easily (I'm in MA). Because I have a lot of relatives in Canada, I go there a lot too. I have been as far north as Sept-Iles but usually stay around the Gaspe area. Montreal is nice too- I've also been considering going to McGill University over there.

In March I'll be going to Washington D.C with my history class which I'm really excited about. :)

ChromeStar
2005-Jan-29, 06:00 PM
Any one been 2 South Africa? :huh: :D

jimmy
2005-Jan-29, 06:27 PM
As far as outside the US, I've been to Cozumel, Jamaica, Brazil, Israel, Egypt, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Leichtenstein, Canada, Isla Mujeres (Yucatan area of Mexico); also in and out of Paris, Athens, and Paraguay( I'd really like to go to Greece, it looked nice).
Within the US: Hawaii, the Southwest (grand canyon, etc. Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Utah, also California(San Francisco), Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, New York, Illinois(Chicago), Arkansas, Ohio, Pennsylvania. I think that's it.
I'd really love to go to India, and the far east, and Australia, and.................

I must say that everyone should visit Jerusalem if at all possible.

Betelgeuse
2005-Jan-29, 06:41 PM
Do you like Paris, jimmy and StarLab?

jimmy
2005-Jan-29, 06:49 PM
Hi Rigel,
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I was in and out of the airports in Paris, Athens, and Asuncion, Paraguay, so I didn't get to see anything except for right outside the airports. :angry:

Betelgeuse
2005-Jan-29, 07:02 PM
Was it Charles de Gaulles airpot? Stayed in a hotel near there. Also the Orly airpot - stayed near there too!

VanderL
2005-Jan-29, 07:43 PM
Hi Damo,
Great idea to start this thread, don't forget to mention the cheapest way to travel; read books!

Been to England and Wales, Austria, France (Paris, Bordeaux and Colmard), Greece (Crete), of course closer to home, Belgium, Luxemburg and Germany (the border is only a few miles from here, but I also visited Berlin when it was still divided). And I was lucky to "have to" travel to San Francisco and surroundings for my work 3 times, that's really an amazing city and spectacular surroundings.

Duane:
Oh, and a trip to the Neatherlands to watch VanderL eat some crow. ;) He even said he would pay!

Don't remember the crow part, but you're invited anyway. The occasion is that the EU is proven correct! B)
Oh, and be sure to book a ticket to The Netherlands. :D

Cheers.

Betelgeuse
2005-Jan-29, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by VanderL@Jan 29 2005, 07:43 PM
Hi Damo,
Great idea to start this thread, don't forget to mention the cheapest way to travel; read books!

Been to England and Wales,
I live in Wales - up north, where exactly have you visited?

Fraser
2005-Jan-29, 08:14 PM
I'm from Canada, and I've been all through BC, Alberta, and the Yukon. I've also visited Toronto and Montreal.

In the US I've been up and down the West Coast, to Buffalo, Wisconson, New York, Alaska and Hawaii.

I've also been to Europe and the Middle East.

You could say I've got the travel bug. Pretty bad, actually.

StarLab
2005-Jan-29, 08:54 PM
As for France, CDG airport is the best part. ;)

Manchurian Taikonaut
2005-Jan-29, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by StarLab@Jan 28 2005, 06:21 PM
Rahul, whenever you do get the travel bug, I advise you to stay out of the Americas, Europe and Asia (not counting Japan).
Keep away from Asia, Euro-zone/ Europe and the Americas that sure is strange advice !?
and what's so special about Nihon/Nippon that you won't find in any other nation for a cheaper price, higher quality service and better vacation ??
been to Japan many a time on business n holiday and I don't see anything that makes it better than Europe or Asia

damienpaul
2005-Jan-29, 11:56 PM
In the next year or so, I'll be doing a tour to meet up with my relatives - in no particular order: Philippines, Japan, Thailand, India, Tanzania, South Africa, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Britain, Spain, Ireland, France, Norway, Italy, US, Canada, Costa Rica and Brazil.....

I got the bug baaaaaaaaaaad

StarLab
2005-Jan-30, 12:02 AM
OMG the HOMO BIGBEARD species is everywhere! :ph34r:

damienpaul
2005-Jan-30, 12:04 AM
you will be assimilated...resistance is futile....:ph34r:

ChromeStar
2005-Jan-30, 07:10 AM
Where exactly in South Africa?

Durban, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth, Pretoria, Bloemfontien.....?

damienpaul
2005-Jan-30, 07:34 AM
Cape Town and Port Elizabeth

kashi
2005-Jan-30, 07:53 AM
Besides places within Australia I have been to:

- India (3 times)
- Thailand (2 or 3 times...I can't remember as I was very young)
- Singapore (a handful of times including 2 holidays and many stopovers)
- Indonesia
- Japan (twice, including visits to 12 cities...in year 9 I had to travel between islands to go to school there while doing a homestay)

I'll probably visit the US soon since my father lives there now. After I graduate, I plan to go to Hokkaido (the northern island of Japan) on a MASSIVE skiing adventure. They have the best powder snow in the world (even better than Canada apparently).

ChromeStar
2005-Jan-30, 08:51 AM
Let me know when you're in Cape Town Damo. :D

damienpaul
2005-Jan-30, 11:35 AM
will do ChromeStar

I'd say that Kashi has a massive travel bug!!!