PDA

View Full Version : Dogon Tradition

wstevenbrown
2005-Feb-05, 04:32 PM
Search the web for ("Dogon" + "Sirius B" ) and you come up with stuff like:http://home.tiscali.nl/gibbon/dogon.htm#anthropology These perpetuate a (probably chimerical) story I have heard for several decades, long before the book which popularized it. Has anyone ever seen this debunked?

Uranut
2005-Feb-06, 10:11 PM
From Burnham's Celestial Handbook:

" 'Surely the most reasonable hypothesis", state I.W.Roxburgh and I.P.Williams of Queen Mary College in London 'is that fairly soon after the discovery of Sirius B, a missionary, explorer or French administrator, by accident or design, comes across this tribe of Sirius-worshippers and decides to give them new information about their god... The Dogon would rapidly absorb such information into their religion so that by the 30's, when they were anthropologically investigated, the knowledge about Sirius B had become firmly part of their traditional beliefs." '.

I've read similar explanations elsewhere but this is the only reference I could locate quickly.

The portion of the text I omitted (I dislike lengthy posts) explains the other astronomical knowledge of the Dogon.

wstevenbrown
2005-Feb-08, 07:05 AM
This explanation does seem to require the Dogon themselves to be complicit. Their claim is that the knowledge comes from antiquity. The Pup wasn't discovered until ca. 1870. S

Uranut
2005-Feb-09, 02:13 AM
I don't think complicit is the correct term in this instance. Unwitting accomplices probably comes closer.

Keep in mind the Dogon were a primitive tribe. Probably only oral tradition for the passing on of knowledge and history. In such a culture 2 or 3 generations is ample time for distortion.

Remember also that many societies (even advanced ones such as China) tend to exaggerate the antiquity of their culture.