PDA

View Full Version : UFO spotted by NSL ConCam

wjwduke
2005-Feb-08, 10:51 PM
Check out Feb. 08 APOD. Apparently NSL is a bit baffled by what the fish cam caught streaking across it's FOV and are soliciting for "expert" opinions to solve the mystery.

astromark
2005-Feb-09, 01:02 AM
Where can we see this?

2005-Feb-09, 03:04 AM
Go to: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

piersdad
2005-Feb-09, 10:04 AM
gee that brings back memories of a sighting i saw in 1947 in new zealand.

very much the same sort of light same apparent size and speed.
my sighting was zig zagging across the sky.
ive concluded iot has to be some sort of natural occurence

damienpaul
2005-Feb-09, 11:22 AM
could be fraser zipping across the sky

Fraser
2005-Feb-09, 06:33 PM
Not a chance, my spaceship is invisible.

astromark
2005-Feb-10, 12:19 AM
Recantly while operating the Ward Observatories teliscope, a object cought our eyes. We were involved in a search for a fadeing comet. While using the finder scope an object passed through the image. I looked down the side of the scope to see a pigion glidding over our location. I wonder what it would have looked like if the camera was on line. It wasent., and its a friendly visator which has been seen on more than one viewing night. The few lights around our scope light the under bellie of pigions very affectivly.

TheThorn
2005-Feb-10, 03:21 AM
It is now an IFO (i.e. it's been identified). It was a fuel dump from the AMC-16 launch. There has been some discussion of it on the SeeSat-L list which handles visual satelite tracking.

The AMC-16 satellite was launced at 12:07 UT. Spacecraft separation occurred at 13:56. Shortly after that, the unburned fuel in the booster is dumped in a "Contamination and Collision Avoidance Maneuver" (CCAM). This type of fuel dump has been observed many times by the amateur satellite observing community, and the cloud that is formed can get quite bright.

The first picture in which the "UFO" appeared was taken at 14:19, and the it is in exactly the right place, at exactly the right time to be the fuel dump. If it isn't the dump itself, then the aliens were flying in the cloud from that rocket ;)

Normally these clouds get larger as they disperse, and this one doesn't seem to do that. However, this dump occurred during the ascent - in the transfer orbit, before it got to geostationary height. So the cloud is moving higher as well as across the sky. Perspective makes it smaller as dispersion makes it larger.

Here (http://bb.nightskylive.net/asterisk/viewtopic.php?t=291&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)is a discussion of it on another site. It is correctly identified on the second page. That's followed by another 11 pages of people ignoring the identification. LOL

2005-Feb-10, 02:57 PM
i guess the weather balloon story wont work in space, so they will start saying is just the good ole fuel dump...