PDA

View Full Version : Sci fi alien poll

g99
2002-Nov-15, 09:01 PM
Take a look at this.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2002-11/15/11.30.sfc

I have taken statistics courses and i know that only the people who feel the strongest about a subject will respond. But still this poll shows that at least one in seven of telephone respondents have known someone who has seen a UFO. Yikes!!! That is alot of probes (and sore body parts)!!!

I personally belive that there are aliens out there, but that they have not visited us. Why would they? We are probobly the boondocks of the galaxy. Why would you travel 100 light years to give a farmer a probe?

VanBurenVandal
2002-Nov-15, 10:20 PM
The average person would have a hard time finding Orion… They see a “funny” light in the sky, and it’s so much more fun to say it was an alien than to go and actually find out what else it could be. So, they’ve now seen a UFO. Sad, really.

Of course, we could be a stop on some sort of interstellar scavenger hunt. “Okay, leave one crop circle and abduct one farmer, check. Now, on to task 8!” You never know…

aurorae
2002-Nov-15, 10:50 PM
Due to the category this thread is in, I thought maybe it was a survey about favorite TV or Movie aliens. Oh, well...

Once I was doing some early evening observing out front with a telescope and a neighbor wandered by and asked me what that bright object in the sky was (it was Venus). She seemed disappointed with my answer, and told me her son (who I noticed was hanging out in front of their house, no doubt watching for a reaction) had told her the object was Capricorn 376 (or some similar made up name).

I explained that her son was playing a prank on her. She really had no way to know, other than to take my word for it.

g99
2002-Nov-16, 06:20 AM
On 2002-11-15 17:50, aurorae wrote:
Due to the category this thread is in, I thought maybe it was a survey about favorite TV or Movie aliens. Oh, well...

Once I was doing some early evening observing out front with a telescope and a neighbor wandered by and asked me what that bright object in the sky was (it was Venus). She seemed disappointed with my answer, and told me her son (who I noticed was hanging out in front of their house, no doubt watching for a reaction) had told her the object was Capricorn 376 (or some similar made up name).

I explained that her son was playing a prank on her. She really had no way to know, other than to take my word for it.

Sorry about the misleading topic area. I thought that this would be best since it was on the scifi.com's website.

darkhunter
2002-Nov-16, 12:58 PM
The thing that everyone seems to forget is WHAt an UFO is: An UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object i.e. anything in the sky that you don't know what it is. Stcrictly speaking, that means UFO's are real.

One the other hand, when people talk about aliens coming down to give free probes, the object is no longer a UFO! It HAS been identified as an alien spacecraft/flying saucer.

IMHO, the fact that all these flying saucer freaks keep talking about UFOs as alien visitors just shows their ignorance on their own theories, and makes them even less credible.

Luriko-Ysabeth
2002-Dec-01, 03:48 AM
g99 wrote:

//at least one in seven of telephone respondents have known someone who has seen a UFO.//

Hey, *I've* seen a UFO. It was directly overhead at Yosemite Lodge, and none of my family were sure whether it were Saturn, Jupiter, or a really bright star. ^_^