PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Centre of Valles Marineris

Fraser
2005-Feb-15, 05:31 PM
SUMMARY: The European Space Agency's Mars Express spacecraft took this image of the central region of the Valles Marineris. This 4,000 km (2,500 mile) long gash in the surface of Mars was probably created when the relatively nearby Tharsis bulge rose up from volcanic activity to a height of more than 10 km (6 miles). A similar situation exists here on Earth (on a smaller scale), at the Kenya rift in east Africa.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/centre_valles_marineris.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

greenone
2005-Feb-15, 06:20 PM
i love all the high res. images of mars... it truly is a beautifull place.

about this photo; it looks to me like water has eroded these valleys. imagine a world gone cold, and all the water freezes... millions of years go by and the surface ice is covered and mixed with red dust from planetwide storms. then millions more years pass and due to variations in the axis tilt, the planet begins to warm. the atmospheric pressure is too low to support liquid water, but it can heat up underground in the noon sun. this subterrainian water then causes large "mudslides" that lead to eroded mountians. and at the bottom of the valleys accumulations of this "mud" collect and it has a darker color of unoxidized iron, because of the lack of free oxygen on this planet the soil stays dark.

sound like a planet you know of?

could it be mars?

i know this sounds a little far fetched, but it seems to fit the data at present

2005-Feb-15, 08:00 PM
very nice info, great details in the images

Duane
2005-Feb-15, 11:03 PM
sound like a planet you know of?

could it be mars?

That's not an unreasonable explanation, certainly better than some of the others I've heard. Personally, I think that during the formation of the Tharsis Bulge the Martian atmosphere was much thicker and able to support liquid water on the surface for significant enough periods to form calcites and other similar material. It is pretty obvious the Bulge was formed through a series of events, so liquid water could have accumulated occasionally during eruptions.