PDA

View Full Version : Shape of Universe

suntrack2
2005-Feb-16, 12:08 PM
hexagon,round,flat,vertically long, horizontally long, parabola, having eight sides, the length the breadth, the circumference of universe, can we imagine.

GOURDHEAD
2005-Feb-16, 02:17 PM
From a pragmatic point of view the observable universe is spherical as long as we "see the same distance" in each direction. Since the actual physical universe is likely to be much much larger than we can ever see, the shape of its boundary, if one, is indeterminate and insignificant.

2005-Feb-16, 02:33 PM
The universe is spherical & we are at the centre. :P

Ola D.
2005-Feb-16, 02:52 PM
Check this: http://www.universetoday.com/forum/index.p...wtopic=3377&hl= (http://www.universetoday.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3377&hl=)

antoniseb
2005-Feb-16, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Feb 16 2005, 02:33 PM
The universe is spherical & we are at the centre.
Well, it certainly looks that way to us.

I think the universe is shaped like a 26 dimensional equivalent to a Klein Bottle.
[I am joking, I don't think we have enough information to talk about the shape with confidence].

2005-Feb-16, 07:18 PM
Trumpet-shaped... 26-dimension-shaped...

Bah!

It is spherical & we are at the centre! Remember, people, that our entire SCIENCE hinges on that 50/50 gamble: EITHER we are at the centre, OR the universe is infinite.

Infinity don't rub me the right way, so I say we're at the CENTER!!!

:D

But I am open to new ideas that can topple this!

(Put it this way, if the universe was teeming with life, I would not suggest we are the center of everything. HOWEVER we find ourselves isolated on a planet with no communication with ANY outside intelligence. Therefore MAYBE we are the centre... ie an EXPERIMENT)...???

antoniseb
2005-Feb-16, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Feb 16 2005, 07:18 PM
EITHER we are at the centre, OR the universe is infinite.
What makes you say we need to be at the center if we are in a finite universe?

Ola D.
2005-Feb-16, 09:18 PM
We don't really have enough evidence to either support the fact that the universe is sepherical or even if we're in the centre of it. But it would be cool if we are! :P

suntrack2
2005-Feb-18, 03:21 PM
who knows it? endless,deeper,heighted vertically,longer horizontally? pyramid like?