PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Galaxy Clusters Formed Early

Fraser
2005-Feb-17, 05:53 PM
SUMMARY: As early as a billion years after the Big Bang, clusters of galaxies were already forming together according to observations made with the Subaru Telescope. This is much earlier than astronomers had expected, and shows that galaxies didn't need to fully form before they began organizing into clusters. A team from Japan studied hundreds of galaxies approximately 12.7 billion light years away and found that many were forming small clusters even as they were forming some of their first stars.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/galaxy_clusters_early.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Feb-17, 07:06 PM
This story talks about how they are observed a billion years after the big bang. I suspect that the process that concentrated matter to form the clusters happened MUCH earlier than that.

The Near-Sighted Astronomer
2005-Feb-18, 09:57 PM
Hi All,

It would be interesting if there are any hints as to the basic structure of such galaxies. For instance were they low-mass irregulars or mid-mass spirals?

My suspicions are that they had yet to develop the kinds of organized structure seen in spirals - such as M31 and the Milky Way. Meanwhile I also suspect that they formed around massive globular clusters. It would be interesting if a correlation was made between their earlier than expected formation and the prsence of dark matter. Could dark matter have pre-populated the universe in some way before the Big Bang and the radiation thereof actually converted some of it into primordial matter - along with that primordial matter coelescing from the Big Bang ylem itself?

Of course, if this were true then the spacetime continuum would have already been present in the cosmos before any Big Bang.

Interesting to speculate on eh?

Carpe Universum,

jeff

alfchemist
2005-Feb-19, 06:11 AM
I don't see why the forces forming a galaxy should not act at the same time in forming galaxy cluster. Man tries to study small parts to know the whole. Imagine doing this with a very large, very complex machine. The universe, I believe, is much much more complex than we can ever imagine. Why not try to study the dynamics of the big parts while studying the small parts at the same time?