PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2

Tiny
2005-Feb-20, 06:29 AM
Hello there
I believe most of the peoples here they are using Internet Explorer right? Well some are not... I hope you guys can help me out here, you know I am using Internet Explorer 6.0 on WINXP SP2, but recently, whenever I click on it, a error message pop up or close the browser for no reason, sometimes the entire computer were frozen because of it :( I hate IE... now I am thinking about going to uninstall it, but unfortunately, I have no idea where to locate it on SP2. Any idea anyone?

piersdad
2005-Feb-20, 06:36 AM
i believe its so much part od windows that it cant be uninstalled
how ever i had a similat problem and i down loaded the latest version and installed it over the old one and it now works

rahuldandekar
2005-Feb-22, 03:19 AM
Tiny, I too have the same problem. I don't know what to do, but I will try to install the latest version.

Tiny
2005-Feb-22, 04:25 AM
IE 6.0 is the latest version...

piersdad
2005-Feb-22, 04:42 AM
tiny just try to reinstall ie 6 over its self ansd hope for the best

alfchemist
2005-Feb-22, 06:28 AM
Hi, Tiny! Piersdad is correct. The IE is very much a part of the operating system though real programmers won't agree since the two are different programs. I'm new with XP and it drove me crazy trying to uninstall an XP Office which requires a separate installer but just the same, very hard to unistall. The trouble with softwares like IE and Office and others is that their system files become a "part" of the operating system. To uninstall is to completely remove these system files which could prevent you from installing other versions of programs. Some system files are even hidden. The wise thing to do was already suggested by piersdad. Just reinstall your IE 6.0. I don't know if your IE comes as a package with your operating system. It is the case here so usually, I reinstall the OS along with the IE though this may mean reformatting. I hope your harddisk is partitioned such that your operating system has a different drive than your other files so you can just reformat the drive for OS without affecting the other files

gavwvin
2005-Feb-23, 08:39 PM
It seems there is something very wrong if you get an error message and it crashes, likely re-installing IE (you can download it from microsoft.com) will do the trick, otherwise try re-installing windows. You can't uninstall IE, as it and File explorer (the windows you view your files in) are more or less one and the same. You don't have to uninstall it though, just don't use it! I recommend downloading firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/) to do your web browsing with- you won't ever use IE again after you try it.

Tiny
2005-Feb-24, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by piersdad@Feb 22 2005, 04:42 AM
:) Well I did try reinstall over IE 6, but unfortunately :blink: , because I am using the newest package of XP, SP2, therefore, I can't install IE6.0. Why? No matter how many time I try, it keeps saying "detect the newest version of.... already install in your computer... something like that" There, I try change the value from 1 to 0 (I hope you know what I mean... like click on Run and then Regedit...) and try again, it doesn't work that way either... finally, I ask them to send me the SP2 CD and using "sfc" to reinstall, it works :P , but now I having the ntsdl.DLL problem, I try to renew it, but well not working :blink: I have no choice but to format my computer.

GooGooGooGooGoo!!! :ph34r:

kodakball
2005-Feb-24, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Tiny+Feb 24 2005, 04:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Tiny @ Feb 24 2005, 04:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-piersdad@Feb 22 2005, 04:42 AM
:) Well I did try reinstall over IE 6, but unfortunately :blink: , because I am using the newest package of XP, SP2, therefore, I can&#39;t install IE6.0. Why? No matter how many time I try, it keeps saying "detect the newest version of.... already install in your computer... something like that" There, I try change the value from 1 to 0 (I hope you know what I mean... like click on Run and then Regedit...) and try again, it doesn&#39;t work that way either... finally, I ask them to send me the SP2 CD and using "sfc" to reinstall, it works :P , but now I having the ntsdl.DLL problem, I try to renew it, but well not working :blink: I have no choice but to format my computer.

GooGooGooGooGoo&#33;&#33;&#33; :ph34r: [/b][/quote]
I had a similar problem, with my cable modem, but with I DSL modem, that error never reoccurred, one thing that always the solved my problem was to,
1. Go to Tools
2. Internet Options
3. Connections
4. LAN Settings
5. Use automatic configuration script (with address left empty)

alfchemist
2005-Feb-26, 08:05 PM
Hi, Tiny&#33; uninstalling programs require total removal of files your OS use to manage these programs. This is a very difficult task and not worth your time if you can reinstall everything. If you are bent on reformatting and you have only one physical harddrive, split it to allocate enough memory for your OS. This way, it would be routine reformatting your pc without the hassle of reconstructing your important files. This proves to be an efficient way to maintain your pc regardless of how vicious a virus attack can be. There&#39;s no stopping these attacks but the damage would be contained or minimized. Also, an OS is bound to crash so try the most stable system.