PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Dr. David J. Tholen Answers Your ...

Fraser
2005-Feb-24, 05:40 PM
SUMMARY: A few days ago we asked you to send in your Near-Earth asteroid questions for Dr. David J. Tholen from the University of Hawaii, Institute for Astronomy. With the current full Moon brightening the night sky, he's got lots of time on his hands, and rushed the answers back to us. What are the chances of an asteroid strike in our lifetime? How could we exploit asteroid minerals? Read on for his answers. Thanks to everyone who got involved, and to TheThorn from the forum Community Support team for organizing this interview.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/tholen_asteroid_questions.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2005-Feb-26, 11:35 AM
very good info

TheThorn
2005-Mar-06, 09:07 PM
Apparently David gave the Universe Today a "scoop", without anyone recognizing it.

A member of the Minor Planets Mailing List (MPML) posted a link to the article here, patting David on the back, and a lot of discussion ensued. Apparently, asteroid 2004 XZ130, whichh David mentioned as very interesting due to it's record small orbit (which never comes outside the earth) was unkown to the rest of the asteroid watching community. David answered a number of questions on it in the MPML, and the conversation was noted elsewhere, for instance, in the IEO NEWS section at A/CC's Minor Object News. (http://www.hohmanntransfer.com/news.htm)

vet
2005-Mar-07, 04:04 AM
you know, a likely'up-to' 120meter obeject was 'solar-hidden', before coming 75K miles of impact. 2002---but check-out the impact data on the maori, and other aboroginies of the area---only 500 years ago an impact sent 480-' ft. 'tsunamis over the 'now sydney area---not mubo-jumbo---hard fact now---this place is scary---a 3.5 billion year-old graveyard---technocray is fragile until dispensed to independent, self-sufficent off-world' colonies---vulnerable.

'with a horse of air
and a speare of fire
to the wilderness
i wander
ten leagues beyond the wide world's end
me thinks it is no journey'---

old elizabethan poetry---The Muse just can't lie----

vet
2005-Mar-07, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by fraser@Feb 24 2005, 05:40 PM
SUMMARY: A few days ago we asked you to send in your Near-Earth asteroid questions for Dr. David J. Tholen from the University of Hawaii, Institute for Astronomy. With the current full Moon brightening the night sky, he's got lots of time on his hands, and rushed the answers back to us. What are the chances of an asteroid strike in our lifetime? How could we exploit asteroid minerals? Read on for his answers. Thanks to everyone who got involved, and to TheThorn from the forum Community Support team for organizing this interview.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/tholen_asteroid_questions.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.
i pray he sees my post on the 'down-under' recent impact, and informs you & you're readers. this is joke, a 120 meter, only seen as it left came 75,000 miles from impact? like any good 'fighter' pilot, it came in with the sun as its shield---so, i suugest any future solar-orbiters be equipt with 'naer-earth' object plotting.

Moseley
2005-Mar-07, 03:11 PM
Very interesting. The Sky at Night, yesterday, concentrated on Kuiper Belt objects and the Oort cloud and discussed binary asteroidal systems but they did not specify distances much so nice to know the ranges these things live in.