PDA

View Full Version : Multiple sources or late injection

antoniseb
2005-Feb-25, 03:46 AM
Here's a paper detailing evidence that there were multiple injections of material blown into the early solar system.

Multiple Sources (http://www.arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0502/0502514.pdf)

Svemir
2005-Feb-25, 10:40 AM
It's their interpretation of data, data that don't fit in just one supernovae remnant scenario.
Personally, I believe (and I think there is observational evidence for that) our Sun is responsible for at least a part of metallicity seen in Solar system.
So, "multiple injections" can actually be replaced by "multiple ejections" from Sun.
Nuclear fusion H->He requires 15 mio. degrees found in Sun's interior.
On Earth it requires 100 mio. degrees (to compensate for pressure, I guess) to fuse plasma.
In solar flares/coronal mass ejections/prominence the temperature can easily rise above 500 mio. degrees, achieved in the laboratory on Earth.
Like in a scourge, the energy is concentrated in a peak of prominence making the fusion of heavier elements possible.
Since this (and "injection" processes, as well) are chaotic events, there is no way to put such a nice equations forword, as they try.

GOURDHEAD
2005-Feb-25, 01:50 PM
Multiple sources seems the more likely option. One would expect that the cloud from which the solar system condensed would have been "salted" from multiple sources prior to its start of collapse. How can one distinguish between pre-collapse initiation and post-collapse initiation sources? I assume computation (estimation) of the age of the solar system is based on the ratio of various long half-life radio-isotopes including their stable end products, so would multiple contributors introduce uncertainities in the age estimate?