PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Saturn Has Oxygen But No Life

Fraser
2005-Feb-25, 06:08 PM
SUMMARY: Cassini has discovered oxygen ions in the atmosphere around Saturn's rings, suggesting that life isn't the only process that could produce it. Molecular oxygen, aka O2, is produced here on Earth as a byproduct of plant respiration - animals like us need it to survive. It was previously thought that O2 is so volatile that it needs the presence of life to occur in a planet's atmosphere. But on Saturn, this oxygen is generated and maintained by a reaction of the Sun's radiation and the icy particles in Saturn's rings.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/oxygen_no_life.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2005-Feb-28, 10:49 AM
It strikes me as unnecessary to say there is no life ! How can they be sure anyway? They made this mistake about Mars and water..(well, they led you and I to believe what they said..)

alfchemist
2005-Feb-28, 01:03 PM
Amen to that! The title and the content of the report should merely state that molecular oxygen is present. How did they know how the molecular oxygen is formed?

astroguy
2005-Mar-01, 12:03 PM
Hi, to the readers of this i think that there is a possibility that there is life on Saturn because of the oxygen ions there

alfchemist
2005-Mar-02, 01:38 PM
The possibility of life as we know it may not be so big on saturn itself but since the molecular oxygen was detected in the atmosphere of saturn's ring, there could be objects on the rings that could harbor life

j0seph
2005-Mar-02, 04:15 PM
I totally agree with alfchemist, I'm sure there are all kinds of neat things in Saturn's rings that we have never seen before, including objects an materials that could possibly sustain a simple form of life

suntrack2
2005-Mar-04, 09:36 AM
life is everywhere you just search it, if anyone says somehing like this then we normally feals optimisim, on or near the saturn there is a possibility of life but in different kind of lifes, there is huge need of deep study and search.