PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Book Review: Patrick Moore: The ...

Fraser
2005-Feb-28, 07:19 PM
SUMMARY: What drives a person to write an autobiography? Maybe being a central character in a world shaping event would do it, as with Winston Churchill. Perhaps it's purely to make money. I'm sure you can think of someone that falls into this category. Another motive could be, for the most part, a means of saying "Thanks for all those great times.". This is the way Patrick Moore comes across in his book, Patrick Moore, The Autobiography. Without a trace of conceit, worldly drama or artificial pretension he happily writes about what is important to himself and of some of the events surrounding his time on Earth.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/book_review_patrick_moore.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2Baldlygo
2005-Mar-01, 09:32 AM
This is an accurate review of Sir Patrick's autobiography. I have met him on two occassions, first as a ten year old then 40 years later on a "tour" he was doing explaining the mysteries of the Universe. His enthusiasm is undiminished and is as charming as can be. I would not be surprised if he remembered me from our first meeting, such is his power of memory.

The writer says he has difficulty in understanding the cricket references, he is not alone, even though I have been brought up on the sport it still bamboozles me. (another odd word we use on this side of "The Pond").

Please purchase this book as it will give a great insight into a great Englishman, his life and times.

2005-Mar-01, 02:43 PM
He is an eccentric character in the typically English vein. His programs were always too short and at the wrong time (usually late at night.) But an institution and irreplaceable. I mean .. a monacle.... what a unique man.

Eric Vaxxine
2005-Mar-01, 03:03 PM
That was mine above, sorry I meant 'programmes'. You probably will admit that a monacled aristocratic astronomer is pretty unique.

bunny
2005-Mar-04, 03:53 PM
It should not be underestimated that his undiminished enthusiam has encouraged a good many of us to take up astronomy even as hobby status. It might be interesting to know his original claim to fame was that his maps of the moon were so accurate NASA used them for the moon landings. He is also the longest serving television presenter, and the sky at night is the longest running television show in the world.

Moseley
2005-Mar-05, 10:45 AM
Those of us with access to BBC3 & 4 can get The Sky at Night at a more reasonable hour, 7 or 8 in the evening, and always worth watching. Everyone in UK who looks up and wonders has Sir PM to thank.

2005-Mar-05, 12:51 PM
Who would like my copy of Moore's "Stargazing Without a Telescope" autographed by him "to Mike" on the occasion of his visit to the Detroit area Sept. 18, 1985? StarMikeBest.com