PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Sideways Motion of a Galaxy Measured

Fraser
2005-Mar-04, 05:23 PM
SUMMARY: Imagine you had a telescope powerful enough to watch a snail crawling across the surface of Mars. Divide that speed by 100, and that's how quickly galaxy M33 is moving sideways in the sky. Radio astronomers achieved this astounding measurement with the Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA), which was even more difficult because they had to cancel out the Earth's motion around the Sun. Astronomers have watched galaxies speed away or move towards us for years, but this is the first time the sideways (or proper) motion of a galaxy this distant has been recorded.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/sideways_motion_galaxy.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Guest_starmikebest
2005-Mar-05, 12:43 PM
Reminds me of Steven Spielberg's huge error in having the background galaxy slowly spinning in the closing sequence of one of the Star Wars movies as Hans Solo flies off.
Astroomers told him it would mean the galaxy's outer stars would be traveling 10,000 times the speed of light - but he didn't want the public to see a static shot and felt it needed movement.

dave_f
2005-Mar-05, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Guest_starmikebest@Mar 5 2005, 07:43 AM
Reminds me of Steven Spielberg's huge error in having the background galaxy slowly spinning in the closing sequence of one of the Star Wars movies as Hans Solo flies off.
Astroomers told him it would mean the galaxy's outer stars would be traveling 10,000 times the speed of light - but he didn't want the public to see a static shot and felt it needed movement.
Mark Hammill, after wrapping up the "trash compactor" scene in the first movie reportedly turned to Harrison Ford at one point, wondering why his hair was styled to be perfect when in real life he would be a mess after something like that. Ford was said to respond "It ain't that kind of movie".

Let's not forget the stars that "fly" by whenever they do a cockpit shot from the side. Makes me think the pilots are hundreds of light years tall. :)