PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: New Kind of Object Discovered?

Fraser
2005-Mar-04, 06:39 PM
SUMMARY: Radio astronomers have detected a series of powerful radio wave blasts from near the centre of the Milky Way that defies an easy explanation, and could lead to the discovery of a new class of object. The team was watching the galactic centre with the National Science Foundation's Very Large Array when they saw 5 bursts occur every 77 minutes, each lasting 10 minutes long. The team will attempt to match up X-rays to the radio busts, as it will help pin down the source of these unusual emissions.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/radio_burst_new_object.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

2005-Mar-04, 09:46 PM
Something this powerful is most likely emanating from a magnetar. The location near the center of the galaxy adds weight to that possibility. Whatever is generating this strong a pulse must have an intense magnetic field generated by a rotating superdense object.

antoniseb
2005-Mar-04, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Mar 4 2005, 09:46 PM
Something this powerful is most likely emanating from a magnetar.
How powerful do you think this is? It was only observed in the lowest energy wavelengths ever used for astronomy. It is probably some rotating dense object but we don't yet know how big.

StarMikeBest.com
2005-Mar-05, 12:45 PM
Everyone want to think "inside the box".
It could just as easily be a transmitted message.

GOURDHEAD
2005-Mar-05, 02:18 PM
An object in orbit near a BH or a neutron star with periapsis occurring at the intervals observed comes to mind.

antoniseb
2005-Mar-05, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by GOURDHEAD@Mar 5 2005, 02:18 PM
An object in orbit near a BH or a neutron star with periapsis occurring at the intervals observed comes to mind.
Sure, that might explain it, if there are other factors that filter out the higher frequency EM waves. When I read the story the first time, I got the impression that the pulses were detected for only a limited period of time, but it appears that the limit was only the limit of how long they were observing.

I'd be very curious to see how the pulses change shape and height in different radio energy bands. This might give more clues as to the mechanism causing the pulses.
[77 minutes is a short orbit, so I agree, it is probably two collapsed bodies orbiting each other.]

VanderL
2005-Mar-05, 03:50 PM
Antoniseb

(Guest @ Mar 4 2005, 09:46 PM)
Something this powerful is most likely emanating from a magnetar.

How powerful do you think this is? It was only observed in the lowest energy wavelengths ever used for astronomy. It is probably some rotating dense object but we don't yet know how big.

Don't be quite so dismissive on this part Antoniseb, the authors themselves describe the phenomenon as powerful, and are trying to model magnetars specifically.

Cheers.

Guest_Steve
2005-Mar-05, 03:59 PM
I do not know much about Radio Astronomy, but I am an Amateur Radio Operator. This radio source was 5 bursts that happen every 77 minutes, each lasting 10 minutes long. The radio source to me is like it was trying to attract attention. Maybe this signal could have been an intelligent location or emergency beacon?

VanderL
2005-Mar-05, 04:10 PM
Hi Steve,

The radio source to me is like it was trying to attract attention

Not likely, imo.
The source did this trick only once (in at least 3 years) and hasn't been seen in any surveys before or after. And I have the impression that generating these pulses would take a colossal amount of energy, the researchers talk about powerful pulses and are looking at magnetars as the source.

Cheers.

Greg
2005-Mar-05, 09:11 PM
The first post was from me at work as I had forgotten to log in there. Generating em energy in all directions like this object such that we can see it from thousands of light years away on a regular basis is a feat that would require an enormous input of energy (by our Earthly standards.) I am sure the energy input pales when compared to SMBH output, quasars, or grbs.
I had read somewhere that radio frequency emissions tend to decay slowly with distance (even in a vacuum) such that someone living near Sirius would not be able to reconstitute a t.v.or radio signal from Earth should they be able to detect it. I tend to have my doubts about this last statement, however, since I thought all em radiation was preserved when travelling in a vacuum.