PDA

View Full Version : formation of all planets

captainplanet
2005-Mar-08, 02:18 PM
Can anybody tell me that how our solar system's all 9 planets formed?because I don't know exactly :huh: ;) I heard that there are 10-13 theroms are there about the formation of the planets.
Happy Sky Watching... :)

TheBlackRider
2005-Mar-09, 05:11 PM
hi,
i know this sounds dumb in such a talented pool of spacers, but i am a newbie to astronomy and would like to learn. anything at all. hoping to see all more. Bye.
--N
btw, er.. shouldnt this be in Q&A?

Kootenaistar
2005-Mar-10, 10:50 AM
As another very amature astronomer, my reply is only from what I have read and learned so far.
Our sun is at least a second or third generation star (formed from a nebula from another star which may have been formed from another and so on.) Well, as this process goes on, the chemical reactions in the generations of stars are forming more of the heavier chemicals for things like iron and so on. Our sun was first just this gas and dust cloud out there until something gets it swirling around like a big mixer. Between chemistry and friction, the center gathers a big hot spot that gets more compacted and has more gravitational pull to even pull in more material, get hotter and swirl faster. Eventually, that center lights up like a nuclear reactor. But here the gravity of mass comes in and holds all that hot power in one place! As far as "I" know, nobody knows for certain how or why we have this solar system just the way we do, but apparently the heavier leftovers of that early "mixer" process didn't get it all into that big central "hot pot", but the chemistry of the "leftovers" were formed via gravity and chemical weight. Heavier things, like those in Mercury, were swirled around into "lumps in the gravey" closer to the sun. Lighter chemicals, like those in Jupiter flew further out. Further from the sun, some "lumps" in this mess got cold and froze solid, like Neptune. Science is NOW in the process of finding the answers to the what, where, how and why of our system and the universe as a whole. Many answers are yet to come. Keep asking!

antoniseb
2005-Mar-10, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by captainplanet@Mar 8 2005, 02:18 PM
Can anybody tell me that how our solar system's all 9 planets formed?because I don't know exactly. I heard that there are 10-13 theroms
I would use the word "model" instead of "theorum".

There are models we are following as to how the planets formed. We are beginning to observe new stars and the disks around them, to see how they are forming planets, and this is confirming some, and eliminating others.

To really do justice to any of these models would take a lot more writing than I'm willing to do, and research I don't have time to do right now.

Jakenorrish
2005-Mar-10, 01:33 PM
The information that coming from the discovery of extra solar planets I think is showing us one thing for certain, which is that we have got a lot to learn about the formation of planets here and elsewhere. Who'd have predicted that the first extrasolar planet to be discovered would be closer to its parent star that mercury is to the sun, and far bigger than the planet Jupiter?!

vet
2005-Mar-12, 04:06 AM
given: the main gravitational influence (field= area of influence) will 'pool' the densest elements more closely than 'gaseous'---what's the probelm?????---so 'gas giants were 1st seem---greater mass, more turbuatraion of stellar path. big freaking deal---now we're finding them in more 'friendly-to-life' outer orbits.

Deleted racist content - a

antoniseb
2005-Mar-12, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by vet22@Mar 12 2005, 04:06 AM
big freaking deal
Hi Vet22,

You are relatively new here, but you've been around enough to start getting a sense of the rules. There is not a lot of discussion here of the sort that I just deleted. The reason is that we delete such things.

If you want to discuss issues of race, nationalism, politics, religion, bodily functions, or other things that frequently lead to exciting but pointless arguments, please do that on another forum. We DO value your questions and insights related to astronomy, and observations of the cosmos.

Ola D.
2005-Mar-12, 01:47 PM
Hi captainplanet,

It's believed that the solar system is formed from the Solar nebula, the collapsing cloud of gas and dust which gave birth to the Sun. As it experienced a gravitational collapse, the nebula was collapsed into a disk, with the protosun accreting at the centre. As it heated up, subtances were driven away from the centre of the nebula and formed the planets with rocky ones near the Sun and gas giants, like Jupiter, further away.

You'll probably find these links about the Nebular hypothesis helpful:
Solar System 1 (http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/solarsys/nebular.html)
Solar System 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_system#Origin_and_evolution_of_the_Solar_Sys tem)