PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Jupiter Reflects the Sun's X-Rays

Fraser
2005-Mar-08, 06:05 PM
SUMMARY: Astronomers have used the European Space Agency's XMM-Newton telescope to watch X-rays coming from Jupiter. These X-rays are mostly reflected solar radiation, which is bounced back through Jupiter's atmosphere. Since Jupiter seems to brighten and dim during solar flares, solar astronomers can detect flares that happening on the far side of the Sun. Jupiter is a poor mirror for X-rays, though, typically only reflecting back less than 0.1% of the radiation that hits it.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/jupiter_reflects_xrays.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Hyginus
2005-Mar-09, 10:22 PM
Dear Fraser,
Thanks for the open-minded forum, BTW.
In any event (IAE), this post raised more questions, then raised my consciousness (to go to the 60's mode) For example, although it seems that "reflection" has an electromagnetic component,, the simultaneous presence of Jovian aurorae tells my untutored mind that ammonia (window cleaner) and marsh gas are much less reflective than my thick skull (not to mention its 60% fat content)
Yr obt srvt, Hyginus

Gustavo 75
2005-Mar-14, 04:42 PM
[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=black]
It would be interesting to find-out whether the x-ray mirror effect is a particularity of Jupiter or if it is a common property of gas giant planets.
This phenomenon should be useful to predict solar flares that would impair communications on earth