PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Dr. Mike Griffin Chosen to Lead NASA

Fraser
2005-Mar-14, 05:45 PM
SUMMARY: The US White House has announced the Dr. Mike Griffin will pick up the reins at NASA, filling the vacancy left by Sean O'Keefe. Griffin is currently the director of space at Johns Hopkins University's Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), and is a supporter of the new Vision for Space Exploration. Once confirmed by the senate, Griffin will become the 11th Administrator for NASA.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/article_2137.html)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2005-Mar-15, 01:09 PM
I'm on record here as being gainst the mission to Mars, as I think it will take dooars away from missions that will produce more good science, and also put lots of eggs into one easily disposed of basket come some budget-time when things are looking tight.

That being said, I wish the publicity picture for Dr. Mike Griffin didn't make him look like a clown.

dave_f
2005-Mar-18, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by antoniseb@Mar 15 2005, 08:09 AM
I'm on record here as being gainst the mission to Mars, as I think it will take dooars away from missions that will produce more good science, and also put lots of eggs into one easily disposed of basket come some budget-time when things are looking tight.

That being said, I wish the publicity picture for Dr. Mike Griffin didn't make him look like a clown.

I'm kinda torn on the mission to Mars thing myself. On the other hand, yes, unrelated scientific fields will suffer. But one personal opinion I should add is that other fields of science will not die off altogether. Others will grow, too. Planetary science would skyrocket. Even astronomy and cosmology, though they will suffer short-term-wise, would benefit in the long run. Yes, Hubble's going away; everyone talks about this, but few have suggested even a rudimentary moon telescope. Also, why not look into serviceability plans? Hubble's being abandoned because ease of serviceability was not one of the primary goals in design.

As for the look of the new NASA manager, I'm also torn. He kind of has that Bill Nye look to him. But he does look a little goofy. At least this marks the end of the "mustache culture" at NASA.

Sorry couldn't resist that last one. :lol: