PDA

View Full Version : Game Developer's Conference

bossman20081
2005-Mar-15, 10:52 PM
I realize that this is an astronomy forum, not a gamining one, so excuse any abbreviations or gaming slang I use, I'll try and keep it understandable. Also, this is sort of late news, but I think this will interest everyody who isn't a die hard fan and doesn't follow the industry, so, sorry if you have seen this news before.

First, let me just say I love playing games, so, this was like heaven for me. While I did not attend it personally, I followed all the news closely and believe me, it was a lot.

First, we have Microsofts Xenon (keep in mind that this is NOT it's official name). This is the Xbox's succesor. These are the current specs, and while they're not official, they are pretty close to what it'll actually be:

CPU: Xenon's central processing unit (CPU) has three 3.0 GHz PowerPC cores. Each is capable of at least two instructions per cycle and has an L1 cache with 32 KB for data and 32 KB for instructions. The three cores share 1 MB of L2 cache. Alpha 2 developer kits currently have two cores instead of three.

GPU: Xenon's GPU, codenamed Fudo, is a generation beyond the ATI X800, and designed at ATI's Marlborough, Massachusetts office. Its clock speed is 500 MHz and it supports Shader 3.0. Developers are currently working with an alpha 2 GPU. Beta GPU units are expected by May and the final GPU is slated for a summer release. In game terms, the final GPU will be more powerful than anything on the market today. It's compatible with DirectX 9's PS and VS 3.0. It's also compatible with the next version of DirectX (DX10).

System Memory: Xenon will have 256 MB of system RAM. This number should not be equated to typical PC RAM. PCs are multiprocessing machines, not just game machines, thus this number is more than sufficient for a dedicated console like Xenon. The Xbox has 64 MB of system RAM and is a very capable machine.

Optical Drive: Xenon will not use Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Xenon videogames will appear on dual-layer DVD-9 discs. While the media is the same as that of the current Xbox, the usable space on each disc is up to 7 GB. The DVD drive is scheduled to run at 12X.

Memory Units: Xenon will use 64 MB to 1,024 MB memory cards. A total of 8 MB is reserved for system use, leaving a 56 MB to 1,016 MB for user data.

Hard Drive: Xenon's hard drive is optional. It's not built in like the current Xbox. A total of 2 GB of the drive will be used as game cache. The final drive size is still being determined. The Hard Drive will be a 2.5" form factor and sold separately. Microsoft's current plan is to require you to buy the hard drive to enable backward compatibility with current Xbox games. This way, Microsoft recovers the cost of its hard drive, plus it is most likely to give hard drive buyers Xbox Live subscriptions.

Camera: Xenon will have a USB 2.0 camera. It's capable of 1.2 megapixel still shots and VGA video. Photos can be used in-game and for gamer profiles. The camera can also be used for video chat. Developers are currently using a simulated camera driver.

Sound Chip: Xenon does not have an audio chip in the traditional sense. Decompression is handled by hardware, while the rest of the chores are handled by software. DirectSound3D has been dropped in favor of X3DAudio. The former was deemed too inflexible.

Wireless Options: Xenon will enable both wired and wireless controllers (like the Nintendo WaveBird or the Logitech controllers), and will come with RF receivers for wireless options. The system also supports an optional Internet router/adapter.

Controllers: The new controllers will be around the same size as the current S-controllers. Microsoft has eschewed the dual triggers for shoulder buttons, and the design is said to be a mixture between the current S-controllers and the current PS2 controllers. They will not feature slots for memory cards, which, we're told, are on the console itself. The system supports 64 megabyte memory cards. There are three controller slots, two controllers on front of the system, plus one USB on the back. Controllers have 2.5mm jacks for headset use.

Console Design: The Xenon console design is said to be much smaller than Xbox, which seems obvious. The new design is styled less like a Corvette and more organic in shape. Its size falls somewhere between the new slimmer PS Two and original PS2.

The Xenon will launch around November 2005, pretty early for another console from Microsoft, eh? The Xenon will emphasing all of Xbox online. All games will have to incorporate online in some degree. It will also target Japan as Xbox was a complete failure there. It will do this by creating stronger relationships with Japanese developers and making it more friendly to the average Japanese consumer, mainly in size. (Xbox is huge and most Japanese live in apartments or other types of smaller housing).

Judging from the limited information, it seems that Xenon will be the least powerful of the three major consoles next-gen, the Revolution, the PS3, and Xenon; quite a turn around from this gen. I will also say that the three consoles sells will be a lot closer (PS2: about 81 million units; Gamecube: about 16 million units; Xbox: about 17 million).

Courtesy of IGN (http://www.ign.com/)

I'll post more in a sec.

bossman20081
2005-Mar-15, 11:19 PM
Now onto Nintendo's side of the conference.

Nintendo gave a lot of info on it's handhelds, the Gameboy Advance and the Nintendo DS, as well as their future console, code-named the Revolution.

First, they plan to keep working on the GBA's already massive library of games. These include:

March:
Backyard Baseball 2006 March 15
Lego Star Wars March 29
Mario Party Advance March 28

April:
Hugo The Evil Mirror April 12

May:
Pokémon Emerald May 1
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones May 23
WarioWare: Twisted! May 23
Madagascar May 24

June:
Herbie Fully Loaded June 5
Chicken Little June 7
Fantastic Four June 28
Dragon Ball GT Transformation
Mega Man Battle Network 5 Team Colonel
Mega Man Battle Network 5 Team Protoman
Batman Begins
Yoshi Topsy-Turvy

July:
Kim Possible 3 July 5

August:
One Piece
The Incredible Hulk

September:
Cinderella: The Game Sept. 6
Lizzie McGuire 3 Sept. 6
That's So Raven 2 Sept. 6
Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!
W.I.T.C.H.
Scooby-Doo! Unmasked
Barbie (working title)

October:
Backyard Skateboarding Oct. 4

Second Quarter (unannounced date):
Tokyo Xtreme Racer Advance
Sigma Star Saga
Ultimate Pocket Games

Third Quarter (unannounced date):
Pac Pinball
Danny Phantom (working title)
Fairly OddParents
Power Rangers

Fourth Quarter (unannounced date):
Bratz
everGirl (working title)
The Incredibles (working title)
Nicktoons (working title)
SpongeBob SquarePants (working
title)
Tak 3 (working title)
Chronicles of Narnia

Unannounced Date, TBA:
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Dynasty Warriors Advance
Hugo Bukkazoom
Barnyard
Warhammer 40,000

I, myself, am looking forward to about nine of those.

Also, Ninetendo has created a peripheal that allows MP3 and Videos to be played on the GBA, which, consequently will be compatible with the DS.

On to the DS
Now, I'm aware that almost everyone knows of the GBA, but I'm also aware of how no one seems to recognize the DS. The DS is not a sequel to the GBA, but more like a third pillar. Nintendo will continue to support both handhelds all the way into the forseeabble future, although GBA developement is expected to and has decreased significantly.

Now then, I'm here to educate everyone isn't aware of the gaming world, so I'll tell a little bit about the DS; if you already know, then skip this section.

-Most notable is it's dual screens.
-It's backwards compatible with the GBA.
-It's wi-fi enabled, which means no more cords to battle your friends in Pokemon (JK)
-It has a built in microphone, with a headset rumored to be released any time now.
-N64 graphics on both screens. (I'd say when it's pushed to its potential, it can achieve graphics just below Dreamcast level)
-The bottom screen is touch sensitive, which I believe is meant to be a substitute for the joystick.
-It does not use cartridges, but SD cards which can work up to having a gigabit (NOT byte) This is still a large amount of space; more than enough for game developers.
-Back-lit; unlike the GBASP which is sidelit. This allows for superior visuals.

Now, for the new news. The DS has officially been announced for online. YAY!! It wiil do this using it's wi-fi ability; once the online system is setup, all you need is a wireless router to play and it's free!! You will be able to play anyone across the glbe, or your friend across the street, it's up to you. No date has been announced for when the system will be online, but it has been promised to be this year.

Next post will be for the Rev...

bossman20081
2005-Mar-15, 11:39 PM
Now for the Rev, which I'm looking forward to above every other console. Ninendo promises the Revolution will Revoutionise the gaming industry. Of course, they will still update the graphics, but Nintendo is heading more toward the innovation side of gaming, afterall, there will be a limit to how good the graphix are, so what then?

The Rev will have wi-fi online, much like what the DS has. It will also be backwards compatible with the GCN. A processing chip is being developed with IBM (code-named Broadway) and a graphics chip is being developed with ATI (code-named Hollywood).

Ahhh, yes, the Gamecube, my favorite console (see a pattern here?) They focused on the GCN (that is, the Gamecube) games coming up, like the new Legend of Zelda (Tentative title) including new footage and screenshots.

Here are a couple:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/bossman20081/sig/Games/Zelda3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/bossman20081/sig/Games/Zelda2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/bossman20081/sig/Games/zelda1.jpg

If you want to see video (not prerendered, actual play) of Zelda05, click here (http://www.nintendo.com/gameminiav?gameid=54610f14-1826-4d46-9981-8f72874aee2e)
I'm druling......

Sony cancelled their booth the conference, so no new info from them....

That's all for now, what do you think?

bossman20081
2005-Mar-18, 08:15 PM
Where are all the raving Xbox fans? I know there's some on the forums; not interested in knowing what the specs of Xbox is?

suntrack2
2005-Mar-19, 08:47 AM
sometime i would like to play video games on my tv, i prefer to play only for 10 minutes, this is a fast conferecing with me and tv.

Mr. Smartypants gamer guy
2005-Apr-16, 05:35 AM
k wow that is alot u need halo and halo 2 pictures thou... and can u tell me how u got those imeges in i mean i dont realy understand the guided mode thingy its not realy self explanetory...

nomadicdemon
2005-Apr-18, 05:54 AM
Guys.....the specs for the new system sounds sweet and the new Zelda looks awesome....anyone play Dynasty warriors 5 yet?? I want to but not sure if it's worth it cuz DW3/4 have like the same fighting moves and stuff and I want more info...so yea....let me know.....Bossman....how'd u get close to 600 posts already.....dang.....been online lately huh...haha, anyways....tell me when new rpg's for the GBA:SP are coming out...thx...laterz!!

2005-Apr-18, 12:37 PM
hey mullet howd u get those imges on your sig?

bossman20081
2005-Apr-22, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Smartypants gamer guy@Apr 16 2005, 02:05 AM
k wow that is alot u need halo and halo 2 pictures thou... and can u tell me how u got those imeges in i mean i dont realy understand the guided mode thingy its not realy self explanetory...
Why do I need Halo pictures? It's already out....

Speaking of Halo, the Xenon will launch with Halo 2.5, supposedly an enhanced verion of Halo 2.

Guys.....the specs for the new system sounds sweet and the new Zelda looks awesome....anyone play Dynasty warriors 5 yet?? I want to but not sure if it's worth it cuz DW3/4 have like the same fighting moves and stuff and I want more info...so yea....let me know.....Bossman....how'd u get close to 600 posts already.....dang.....been online lately huh...haha, anyways....tell me when new rpg's for the GBA:SP are coming out...thx...laterz!!

I know, I can't wait for Zelda05, Wind Waker was great, but realistic graphics suit Zelda much better IMO. I haven't tried Dynasty Warriors yet, but it's on my to do list, the fifth one looks awesome! All the announced games are already listed above, the only one that I know for sure is an RPG is Pokemon Emerald. I've been hearing good things about Fire Emblem, so I think Ill try that first.

hey mullet howd u get those imges on your sig? PM me.

2005-Apr-24, 03:53 PM
what i ment about the halo and halo 2 pictues is, do you have any new unseen ones or somthing.

and the thing wit the sig stuff it deosnt tell you in guided mode or normal how to insert an img so could you help me with that?!?!?

bossman20081
2005-Apr-29, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Smartypants gamer guy@Apr 24 2005, 12:23 PM
what i ment about the halo and halo 2 pictues is, do you have any new unseen ones or somthing.

and the thing wit the sig stuff it deosnt tell you in guided mode or normal how to insert an img so could you help me with that?!?!?
Halo and Halo 2 are already out, so what would be the point of posting them?

2005-May-02, 01:11 PM
... i am a complete halo and halo 2 fan... so i was asking if you have any new pic's of them like unseen stuff that wasn't given out...