PDA

View Full Version : Mars Art Gallery

MarsArtGallery
2005-Mar-19, 09:08 PM
Hello,

I would like your feedback on a site I just launched. The URL is:

http://www.marsartgallery.com

I created it as an expansion of a presentation I give locally titled "Mars As Art" which is actually more about the image processing associated with returned data and less about turning that data into art.

Thanks for your comments.

Jim

antoniseb
2005-Mar-20, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by MarsArtGallery@Mar 19 2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your comments.
Hi Jim,

I like what you're doing. I don't know what your goal was, but to me it is an interesting way to reach out to a slightly non-overlapping audience with the message of space exploration.

Thanks.

bossman20081
2005-Mar-20, 07:30 PM
Hello MarsArtGallery

I enjoyed the site very much and will contiue lookinging at it while you update it. However, I hope that you did not sign in just to show off your site. I would sincerely like you to stay on UT debate us on some topics of space. I gather that you like Mars very much, which I think you would enjoy some of our Mars debates. I also think you would enjoy showing off some of your art in the astrophotography section.

Back to the original topic, yes, I agree with Anton, the idea of combining art with space exploration is a good idea, while not entirely new, the idea never really took off. You should really expand on this idea, which I am quite interested in and I may know of a couple people who would be interested in this idea as well. Im not sure if you want this, but maybe you should allow other artists to be published on your site?

Janice
2005-Mar-21, 01:00 AM
:D I thought your site was totally schnazz (that's a good thing, like snazzy, or cool) the pictures are really pretty (I think I may steal some of you ideas for art class! :P )

Always,
Janice :lol:

Ps. If you did register just to post about your site I really do hope you stick around UT is lots of fun. :)

MarsArtGallery
2005-Mar-21, 06:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your feedback. In response to your comments:

Janice:
Thanks. In response to your PS "If you did register just to post about your site I really do hope you stick around UT is lots of fun.", that is why I registered. I have been getting the newsletter for some time. Unfortunately I'm on too many forums and too many listservs to reliably and consistently participate in most. And writng for me does not come naturally -- somewhat surprising since I previously served as an editor of two space related newsletters.

antoniseb:
Thanks. You hit it on the head as to my goal for the site. I have been lecturing about Mars for almost 15 years. It was only with the MGS mission that I thought of the artistic implications. I set up the site to a) show what one could do with the data B) promote awareness of planetary science and space exploration c) provide some education on the sly. I figured that I could reach a larger audience this way.

bossman20081
Re becoming a regular, please see my response to Janice. Yes I do like Mars very much. I used to be active in the Mars Society but had to backpedal when I was elected VP of Chapters for the National Space Society. I did not seek reelection which was a factor in my having the time to actually launch the marsartgallery.com site. I also am the webmaster for www.chicagospace.org - the Chicago Society for Space Studies.

Thanks for the tip about the astrophotography section. I'll have to look at some of the images posted there. I suspect that much of what I have would not be really appropriate for them.

Also, that is an interesting idea you have about allowing others to publish to the site. Of course they would have to be willing to write associated content. I think that I will bring this up with some friends. Thank you for this suggestion.

And yes, I will continue to update the site. I have a fair amount of images to publish -- it just takes me forever to do the write up. I released the site early in order to have it available as "supplimentary material" for a talk on the subject I did for a local astronomy club a couple weeks ago. I've got another audience with another astronomy club this Friday and expect to have at least two more images online: I just have to figure out which ones.

Thanks everyone.

Jim, www.marsartgallery.com

blueshift
2005-Mar-22, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by MarsArtGallery@Mar 21 2005, 06:54 PM

And yes, I will continue to update the site. I have a fair amount of images to publish -- it just takes me forever to do the write up. I released the site early in order to have it available as "supplimentary material" for a talk on the subject I did for a local astronomy club a couple weeks ago. I've got another audience with another astronomy club this Friday and expect to have at least two more images online: I just have to figure out which ones.

What a small world! You'll never guess whose club you are going to address this Friday? I'll see you there at the Vogelei Center in Hoffman Estates, Jim.

It should be nice to meet someone who shares the same site. This will be a new one for me..Stop at Rosati's afterward with us! We are paying! ( I think ).

MarsArtGallery
2005-Mar-22, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by blueshift@Mar 22 2005, 02:32 AM
What a small world! You'll never guess whose club you are going to address this Friday? I'll see you there at the Vogelei Center in Hoffman Estates, Jim.

It should be nice to meet someone who shares the same site. This will be a new one for me..Stop at Rosati's afterward with us! We are paying! ( I think ).
Hi Blueshift,

You're not kidding about a small world. I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure about Rosati's afterwards as I'll have two kids in tow. The older one gets to serve as my "AV" operator.

FYI, I'll be doing a repeat performance of the talk at Astronomy Day at Harper College on April 16.

See you this Friday.

Jim, www.marsartgallery.com

suntrack2
2005-Mar-24, 09:58 AM
Hello Jim, how are u, your experiment of marsart gallery is really fine, keep it up Jim, may i apply for your newsletter (shown button in the bottom of your site) ?

MarsArtGallery
2005-May-31, 06:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Just an FYI to say that I've added several new images and a few wallpapers. Unfortunately no new articles yet.

Jim,
http://www.marsartgallery.com